Chapter 15

Shi Jin's pov

Ki Bum sees me lurking behind the shelves in the kitchen, him frowning slightly at seeing me in the middle of making lunch for the soldiers. I clear my throat, scratching my chin as he walks over to me leaving the half boiled soup to the soldier next to him.

'Don't ask me to give you ice cream in this weather, Captain. It's impossible to make.' He says, his accent stronger from the humidity in the kitchen for boiling soup.

'No, not ice cream.' I say, glancing up at him quickly at his irritated face.

'Then what?' he asks, and I peak my eyes at the oven behind the soldiers cooking rice.

'Uh- That is hardly the way you should be speaking to your seniors.' I say, for no reason really, but his expression softens.

'Can you make macaroons?' I ask, watching his face instantly scrunch up again, rubbing his forehead down to his eyes.

'Aiii, Captain, you're not in Gangnam.' He says, looking back at the soldier clumsily cutting vegetables. 'If you are having sugar cravings, you can hold it until you get back to Seoul.'

'Ya, you are supposed to follow orders.' I say, him half rolling his eyes.

'Only if the orders are valid. Macaroon has nothing to do with peace keeping.' He says, taking the wooden spoon from the side and starting to fry the vegetables, pushing the clumsy soldier aside.

'Well it's not for me. It's for Y/n- Dr. L/n.' I say, him glancing up at me from the frying pan with suspicious look.

'I need to ask her something but she will not talk to me without them.' I say, taking the salt from the side and adding it into the vegetables.

'AAAIT! Captain, you put the lid into the pan.' He says, flinging the salt container lid onto the table. 'Also, if you are going to ask her to marry you only with a plate of macaroons then I say you have no hope.'

'I am not going to ask her to marry me.' I say firmly, him only taking more salt and adding it to the pan.

'I'll buy you Korean beef when we go back' I say, watching his ears perking up.

'Okay fine.' He says, picking up the stray piece of vegetable on the floor and throwing it into the bin.

'It needs to be pink.' I say, him raising his eyebrows.

'Don't ask her to date you with macaroons either.' He says, and I open my mouth to say something nasty but stop myself, knowing that annoying him would not lead me to get macaroons.

Y/n's pov

You wake up from your another blissful sleep, still stuck in hospital bed with the skin on your ankle still healing. Feeling something holding the tip of your foot over your socks, you look to the end of the bed, seeing Shi Jin trying to carefully push your feet into the blanket, him looking like he still thinks that you are asleep.

'What are you doing?' You say, squinting your eyes against the sunlight. He straightens up, letting go of your toe, looking confused.

'Your feet looked cold.' He says, scratching his head.

'I brought you macaroons... the pink ones.' He says, placing the plate of macaroons on the tray next to your bed.

'Why?' You ask, trying to see through his intentions for acting like when you were still together after all these years.

'I just wanted to ask you a question.' He says, watching you slowly sit up.

'What question?' You say, your voice sounding more blunt than you intended to.

'You know...on your voice note. You said you weren't too mad for me speaking to you again... What do you mean by that?' He says, sitting down on the side of your bed.

'No meaning. I thought I was going to die. Fear can do a lot to someone's temporary feelings.' You say the first thing you can think of, him not looking satisfied.

'That's not true.' He says, pushing the plate closer to you.

'I don't like the pink ones anymore.' You say, pulling your blanket under Shi Jin onto yourself.

'Well it's only the food colouring. It should taste the same as any other ones. And you're not answering the question which was in exchange for these.' He says, and you almost say that you didn't ask for the pink macaroons, but hold your tongue.

'I said it didn't mean anything. You can't make me lie just because that's what you want to hear.' You say, leaning further back into your pillow.

'You know that's not what I'm trying to say.' He replies, and you sigh, pushing the strand of hair out of your face.

'Okay. I don't know what you want. Why did you even talk to me when we got here like nothing happened? Why did you call me during the earthquake? And even now, why are you here? I don't understand why you are still acting like we are- '

'Dating?' He finishes, and you look at the wall next to your bed wanting to escape the bed.

'Well- yes. Why?'

'Can't I just be a friend? Just because we broke up, doesn't mean we have to say as strangers forever.' He says, and you rub your forehead before lying back down onto the bed.

'You know what this is giving me a migraine' you say, turning away from him, submerging yourself in your blanket. You feel him stand up from the bed, walking away from you that you peak your head out again.

Shi Jin's pov

I walk to the far corner of the ward where Y/n can no longer see me from her angle, watching her turn over on her side. She eyes the pink big macaroons on the plate before quickly taking one and turning back around to face the wall. I watch her cheek become chubby, it moving up and down every time she chews the macaroon. Suppressing my laugh, I walk out of the ward, Myung Joo glaring at me for wandering around in the medicube.