Chapter 1

It was a normal world, a normal time. Everyone had their routines, their families, friendships. The only worries they had were in their day-to-day lives, no one thought anything bad was going to happen, you don't expect it to, you hope it won't.

Jack

He was packing for his solo hiking trip, grabbing everything he needed for it and all safety measures in case things go wrong. He zips up his bag and throws it on his back, grabbing his car keys, phone, and wallet.

"Are you sure you want to do this? You know how dangerous these hikes are." His mother informed him.

"You tell me this 50 times every time I go on one, I always come back unharmed don't I?"

"You do but what if this time is different?"

"It won't be, trust me, you sure you and dad don't wanna go? It will be fun."

"Yeah hard pass." She chuckled and pulled him into a motherly hug and kissed him on the cheek. "Just please keep me updated, if you don't have service just try to reach out somehow."

"Don't worry I will, and I'll be home before you know it. Tell dad I said bye."

"Be safe!" She called out and Jack got into his car. He put on his playlist for long drives like this and started heading towards his adventure.

Liam

He was laying in his bed with the rest of the military guys. He was writing a letter to his girlfriend Elena, he couldn't wait to go back home and see her. Once he finished writing the letter, he put it with the other mail that would be sent out and got his gear on and his gun and headed out with the rest of the guys.

Elena

Elena was smiling at the front desk at the hospital where she was interning, reading a bunch of letters she's already gotten from Liam. She then looked at her phone and scrolled through pictures of them, she was really missing him and couldn't wait for him to come home. She then looked at the time and put her mail and phone in her purse and put her hair up in a ponytail.

She then grabbed the chart of patients she was helping with and made her rounds. She was giving some patients some blood and taking blood as well. The TV was on for the patients, a news station talking about how people need to take cover and be on high alert, there was a lot of sickness going on and lots of flooding and fires happening. Elena looked at the TV confused, and the old man she was taking blood from chuckled.

"Don't believe that crap, they're always trying to scare us, nothing crazy has happened and I've lived through many years."

Elena chuckled with him. "Yeah you're probably right, this is why I don't listen to the news."

"Smart girl."

She gave him a smile and put a bandaid on him. "Drink your juice." She stood up and made her way down the hall. She saw one of her co workers and went up to her. "Hey have you heard the news?" She asked.

"Yeah and I immediately turned it off, not listening to that crap."

"Yeah.. Yeah same." Elena sighed and went back to her next patient. Why was she the only one that was nervous? Maybe she was just overreacting like she usually did.

Alex, Sophia, and Maya

Alex was at work, he went to school to become a chef and is doing his dream job. He loved hearing about how much people loved his food. He was hoping to open his own restaurant one day, hopefully that day would happen soon.

Sophia was running on the track, making sure she was staying as fit as she could. She was a star athlete and her dream was to become one of the top athletes. She was getting very close to her goal and wasn't going to stop until she reached it.

Maya wasn't like any of her friends, she thought of herself as the outcast; even though none of her friends made her feel that way. They all had jobs, or hobbies they loved, but she hasn't found her dream or hobby. She was in her late 20s and so were her friends, maybe one day she would figure it out, but for right now she stayed at home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jack made it to the mountain that he would be hiking, he took a sip of his water and a bite of his granola bar before he started the hike. He checked his phone and didn't have much service, but he had one bar. He sent out a text to his mother letting her know that he made it, and he would message her again when he could. Jack waited for it to send which took awhile and once it sent he made his way up the mountain.

The higher he got up it the colder it got, he was making it towards the top and there was now snow everywhere, not like at the bottom of the mountain where it was nice and Sunny. It was so strange how the climate changes like that. He opened his bag and put on gloves, a hat, and a jacket that he packed since it was colder now, and he made his way further up the mountain. He was almost to the top, but he stopped to catch his breath and to have some more water.

While he was sitting there, he felt the ground shaking under his feet. He thought he was imaging it because he was tired, but then the shaking was getting worse. He stood up in a panic, and the whole ground was shaking and cracking under his feet.

"What the fuck.." he spoke under his breath so he didn't make the shaking worse but then he saw snow coming down the mountain at a fast paced. He quickly started running down the mountain as fast as his feet could take him. Snow was getting closer and closer to him and the ground was breaking more and more. The snow caught up to him and he let out a scream as the snow started to cover his body and the ground continued to break underneath him. "HELP SOMEONE!" He screamed before his head was completely covered in the snow.