³³, VERY DIFFERENT MEN

Start from the beginning

The blonde nodded but said nothing else.

Elspeth helped her into new clothes once she was cleaned entirely, even braiding the girl's wet hair so it remained out of the way. Once they emerged, Elspeth shared her findings with Nostradamus, who nodded and led Olivia upstairs to where he would tend to the newfound wound.

Elspeth sighed, taking a seat beside a tense Demetre Langlois.

"Do you think a woman could become a physician?" Elspeth questioned after a moment.

"I think you could," Demetre answered before he could think.

Elspeth smiled lightly, looking down at her lap.

"Petal, I apologize if I overstepped when I arrived, I just--"

"Don't, please."

Demetre felt his heart lurch as her hand gripped his harshly.

"Elle, I have been far too informal with you for a very long time," Demetre breathed, "The other night I crossed a line I should not have--"

"Please."

Her voice wavered, making Demetre look up at her. She had already been looking at him, the middle of her brows turning upward in pleading.

"Do not push me away," She whispered.

"I could never, but--"

"Then don't," Elspeth said, "Formality, court rules-- you are the one who has stood by my side. You are the one who has put me first. You are the one who has given me comfort when no one else could; I do not want anything to change. I couldn't bear it if anything changed."

Demetre breathed deeply, and for just a second, the air felt different.

"As you wish, Petal."

Elspeth smiled softly, basking in the light of Demetre's gaze.

And then just as quickly, things shifted.

The door opened, and Elspeth jolted, fear gripping her heart as she hurried to hide, only to realize who it was.

"Elspeth."

Francis moved first, whatever mood he had hanging over his head changed instantly as he rushed to the girl, hugging her tightly.

"Francis, what are you doing here?" Elspeth questioned, hugging him back. Only then did she notice the other two figures, lingering back, "Mary, Sebastian--?"

"Bash told us there's something in the wood," Francis informed, pulling away, "Though I don't believe in monsters-- he won't rest."

"Because it threatens--!"

"The two of you aren't safe here," Francis urged, ignoring his brother's interruption, "He told me of what happened with my guards; he's agreed once we put this to rest the two of you will set off to Scotland. We're here to speak with Olivia."

Elspeth felt a presence behind her.

"Go speak with her, then," Demetre's voice came out cold, "She is upstairs, with Nostradamus. He is still tending to her wounds."

Elspeth was not blind to the change of Sebastian's expression.

"Come with us," Sebastian said suddenly, "You know the woods better than anyone, even myself--"

"Bash, you know I cannot," Demetre said tightly.

"This is for the safety of--"

"Bash," Demetre tried to warn.