22 - Consequences

Your departure from Mekai— though it was more an escape than anything else— was spent in a blur of movement. You slept for an hour or two before finding some scrap of a boat and then you thought you were nearing death as the current threw you on the beach on the other side, as if the land itself was mirroring its prince's will to be rid of you.

Your body was on fire, exhausted and bruised but it was nothing compared to the way your chest would tighten around your heart every time you thought about how things had ended with Nanami. Your mortification grew with every heartbeat as you made your way across Mekai, barely registering the tension that seemed to bristle in each town you came close to. Rebellion was one thing, but war was looming and you could feel the embers of it, warming the lands.

It was the dead of night when you stumbled back into the human lands and you could not remember how you had managed to get there at all. The only thought helping the last of your strength left in your body, were Nia's last words to you:. "Thanks for taking care of our asset. Well take it back".

Pressure clamped down on your chest at that. She had been referring to Amane, it had to be. But it had taken you days to get back here, you would most definitely be too late. And yet, you could not help but cling onto the helpless hope that there was something you could do to save your sister. It had never mattered before that you did not share any blood. She was your family and nothing else mattered more.

Rushing across the city, bustling with people, eerie energy brewing all around you. You found yourself running up the stairs at an alarming speed, the place quiet and empty given the time. You and your sister had been granted a night pass because of your mother's condition, which was why none of the staff you encountered inquired about your presence.

Fear crept up your spine as you reached for the door and you could not even muster a single thought toward what you would do if the room was empty. Amane spent most of her time with your mother, if she was not here, then home was your Iast and only clue.

The door slid open, revealing the pale room and a weight lifted off your shoulder when your frantic gaze found Amane's form slumped over a chair at your mother's side, her face unchanged as always.

Amane's eyes peeled open as you stopped in front of her. She silently eyed you up and down and her brows furrowed. She bit at her lips and turned her head away. You prepared for the usual silence and ignorance you were used to from her when she suddenly started moving her hands signing so fast you could barely register her meaning.

"You knew how to sign ?!" You blurted, mouth trembling with shock and exhaustion. Of course she had known.

How do you think I've been living until now ? Just because I don't speak to you doesn't mean it's the same with everyone. She signed and you watched her dainty hands moving with something like relief and envy. She had kept that from you for years.

"I did not think you hated me that much" you replied flatly.

Oh please that's not the point, where have you been ? She took a step toward you and you flinched away from her, surprised.

"Isn't the point ? Amane! You've been punishing me for years for something I haven't done. I've come to accept it, but don't be surprised when I'm shocked that you would even care!"

It was not hate. She signed, lowering her head, her hands slightly shaking.

"What ?" You repeated.

It was not hate ! She signed again and she was moving quicker now, her eyes glossy and red as if she had cried. Had she ? It was guilt you stupid bitch.