18 - Sparks of truth

The content of your stomach rose in your belly and your eyes widened with understanding as realization washed over you. Suguru must have mistaken your stupor for fear because he increased the strength of his grip around your throat, his eyes narrowing with potent hatred.

You barely had time to open your mouth to say something when the door was abruptly and forcefully pushed open, emitting a cacophonous screech as it slid along its track. The grip around your neck was suddenly loosened as Suguru was thrown away from you with brutal strength, the paper wall ripping as he flung through it.

You fell on your knees, Naomi kneeling at your side, her hand on your back. "Breathe." She ordered. She caught one side of your jaw between her fingers to make you look at her and you felt a sudden relief at seeing her face, crumpled with anxiety. "Why did you not call for help ?" She hissed, her hand on your back moving up and down.

You did not answer, coughing, legs weak due to the lack of air in your lungs and your gaze fell on Nanami's back who was walking toward his brother. He had not changed his appearance and you wondered if that meant he did not need it to use his real force to overpower his brother.

The black haired tengu hissed between clenched teeth as he tried to get up but Nanami pressed his foot on his chest, forcing him to his back again. "Enough Suguru."

"Why would I?" Suguru spat, a trail of blood running down his nose. "You hate them just as much as I do. Why is she different ? What sorcery has she performed upon you that you dared bring her here, into our realm, our home ?"

Nanami's shoulders stiffened and he looked about to turn around to look at you before he removed his foot from his brother's chest. "I don't need to explain my decisions to you Suguru. But I trust this was just an anger driven mistake from you and will never happen again." He said, his voice low and commanding.

"Or what ?" Suguru hissed as he got to his feet, his body slowly shrinking back to its more human form, claws retracting and wings disappearing behind him. "You would dare oppose me ? Your own brother ? For her ?" He pointed a finger at you, and you stifled a breath, not sure what Nanami's answer would be after your last conversation.

"I would." Nanami said at last, his voice surprisingly clear of any doubt and a shaky breath escaped you.

Naomi gave you a side glance and she could barely hide the tug at the corner of her mouth as she helped you up. "She needs to be seen by a doctor or something." Your friend said, oblivious to the tension crackling between the two brothers.

"I'll take her." Nanami said as he turned away from the black haired male who scoffed in answer before storming out of the room in a shuffle of clothes.

"I can do it mysel-" You croaked, a painful buzz in your throat.

Nanami did not so much as pretend to have heard you as he snatched you away from Naomi's hold, scooping you up against his chest, one of his arm at your back while the other supported your legs.

Naomi snickered, her brown skin darkening slightly more on her cheeks as she watched you in his arms. "I guess I could try to interfere but I think you two need some time to talk. So I'll just," She glanced around, before flopping down on the nearest cushions. "wait for you there. Take your time." She gave you a knowing smile as Nanami left the room with you in his arms.

Silence stretched between the both of you as he confidently walked in the hallway, dim lights casting moving shadows around you. You kept your face away from his, chest, heart heavy with anger and resentment. Truth was, you knew deep down he should be the angry one, and yet you could not keep the sour feeling of betrayal from weighting on your chest. All of this had happened because he had pretended your family was in danger because of something binding you to him.