9 - L'écume des jours

Hi guys, I hope you'll enjoy this chapter. At last, the slow(not that slow) burn is finally starting to actually burn 🥸😼. Enjoy your read !

***

After that day, hours quickly became days, and you found yourself trying to spend more time with Kamo, even though he was the most boring individual you had ever met.

The chores you were given had started to be more diversified since you were now in charge of the courtesans' requests. From getting them new clothes, to adding more water to their hot bath, to even be awoken at night because one of them needed water, you now did it all. It was better than serving in Oshinokouji's oiran-za with him glaring at you though.

You wiped the sweat forming on your forehead as you hung the last bed sheets of the pile on the string attached in the yard, in the middle of the building, before going back up toward the sleeping quarters. You debated going back to your room and enjoy a quick nap before anyone decided to notice you were gone when you stopped at the corner of a hallway.

You pressed your back on the paper wall, your breath quickening. There were whispers right on the other side of the hallway – and whispers meant secrets, which meant you definitely needed to listen to them.

You took a steadying breath, trying not to make any sound with the bottom of your pants shuffling on the floor and tried to listen to the whispers a bit better. Oshinokouji's room was right this way and from the scent oozing in the air, his door was opened.

"... it's not like you have a choice..." a voice whispered a little louder and you recognized Kamo.

"Actually I do." Oshinokouji's voice sounded strained and tired. You had not seen him ever since that scene days ago. "I told you not this time... find someone else !"

"He's not going to be happy to hear this..." Kamo replied, the hint of a threat in his voice.

Oshinokouji scoffed, seemingly unimpressed. "Well, if he has anything to say. He can come and say it to my face."

Kamo said something but the sound of feet coming from behind made you jolt and you had no choice but to take a step forward, revealing your presence. The two men whipped their head toward you and your stomach twisted sour at the sudden realization that you had no reason to justify your presence in this part of the mansion. You opened your mouth then closed it, no excuse coming up to your mind.

"What are you doing here ?" Kamo asked, one of his brow rising.

"Well I-" You mentally forraged for anything that could get you out of this situation when Oshinokouji's face seemed to light up as he angled his body toward you.

"I asked her to come." He said, clearing his throat. His deep voice resonating in the quiet hallway. "Right, Blue ?" You quickly nodded in response. "Well, don't make me wait any further. I need my hair done."

You held on the quiet chuckle that tickled your lips as you walked past Kamo, slightly bowing your head to him. His face was, as always, unreadable. Not only his eyes, so thin you could barely see the pupils in them, did not make it easy to read him, but his face barely showed any emotions at all. You closed the door behind you, and stiffened at the smell engulfing you.

The mix of tobacco and perfume in the air was vaguely sickening and the intensity of the smell forced you to look for the window and you fought the urge to slid it open with brute force-- instead you stood, straightening your spine, barely breathing.

Oshinokouji had walked right back to the same spot you had found in him on your first meeting, splayed on various colorful cushions. Your gaze found its way to his disheveled hair, traveled along his kimono which had fallen over his shoulder, uncovering his tan skin and chest. You furrowed your brows at the sight of it, even though you knew it was a man, it was surprising to see how fit and muscular he was under those clothes. You had expected him to be sickly thin. He was slim but still, his chest looked firm and you blushed at the sight of one of his nipples.