8 - Found you

"The Oiran has asked for me ? Personally ?" You repeated with a dumbfounded face.

Of course he had. You should have known right from his pretty annoying face that he was the embodiment of the self righteous bully like in that series Naomi always watched.

Kamo stiffened and turned back to glare at you, still tugging on your sleeve.

"You need to be very careful about how you'll work tonight. Or you may regret having ever come here."

"I love how supportive you are. Thanks buddy." You replied with a wry smile.

He shook his head with a sigh of annoyance and stopped before the sliding door of the room adjacent to the Oiran-za – the room where Oirans usually entertained their guests.

"Behave." He only said before pushing you inside and closing the door behind you.

You took a few steps in, careful not to make any sound. Maybe if you pretended you were not here, no one would call for you. But soon, food and drinks were place on platters behind you and you sat on your folded legs, heart hammering in your chest.

To be honest, you did not really care about this mission, but something about this whole story was quite entertaining – and the debt thing probably weighted in the balance – no, most definitely.

Soon, the bell signaling the Oiran was calling for you rang and your stomach clenched at the sound.

You took a deep breath, trying to remember Kamo's words and explanations about how everyhting was supposed to go but your head was a mess and you had never been good at remembering things.

Sighing, you slowly slid open the white panel, revealing the fancy room. You refrained from gasping at the display of luxury.

The room was elegant and a bit smaller than you had expected. You had been told the room's decor usually reflected the status and rank of the courtesan that worked there and if you had had any doubt about Oshinokouji's influence, now there wasnt any.

There was elegant furnishing, such as porcelain vases filled with various flowers and patterned sliding screens covering the walls. The few guests were seated on colorful cushioned seats on the floor around a wooden low table.

"Can you move any slower ?" a deep voice interrupted and your head turned to Oshinokouji, sitting at the far right of the table.

You could not help but run your eyes over the fancy outfit he had changed into, a bit less extravagant than the one before but the red of the large kimono he wore complemented his skin color and made him look like he came directly from the Heavens – and you almost laughed at the thought, considering he was a demon.

Without answering, you pushed the various plates of meal across the table, terribly aware of the weight of the Oiran's stare, even when the other guests acted like you did not even existed.

"Please, Oshinokouji, let me pour you a drink." A woman said across from you. Her black skin made a striking contrast with the golden jewelry she wore on almost every possible part of her body. You had no idea certain part of the face could be pierced. Trying not to stare, you began retreating back into the adjacent room, your gaze fixated on the Oiran who had not stopped glaring at you.

"Please, I have told your many times to call me Tadayori. We're friends aren't we ?"

She giggled and you left the room before being even more cringed.

To your surprise, the Oiran was too busy entertaining the guests that night to even bother trying to do anything against you and you were almost surprised when you shift ended without any trouble.