ϟ18ϟ

AVENGERS COMPOUND

After arriving at the compound, Steve carried Florence straight to her room and Nat changed her out of her battle gear into a pair of pyjamas.

Natasha, however, never moved at all from the desk chair she sat at the end of the bed. Still wearing her muddy and bloody battle attire, she wouldn't leave until she knew Florence was ok.

Florence just laid there, like a statue for hours, after being gently placed on her bed, her mutation became a form of unconscious shield protecting her. An angry-looking green aura surrounded her, preventing anything from getting close to her. Even the doctors who tried to get her vitals of her and the baby.

Florence began to shake almost seizure-like, her aura copied the actions of its owner, sporadically stabbing the air, hitting anything in its way.

Memories from the past 48 hours flashed in her mind.

Finding out about the pregnancy

Pietro Proposing

Seeing Ross at the Compound

Travelling to Wakanda

The battle beginning

Fighting Obsidian Cole

Watching Pietro get hurt

Mutation coming back

Seeing Thanos

Fighting Thanos

SNAP

Pietro

Pietro

PIETRO

Florence shot up in her bed, sweat covering her forehead, her chest heaving. The aura around her gently relaxing and retreating back into Florence's skin, her hand automatically reaching and caressing her stomach.

"What the hell is happening?" She asked groggily, slowly pushing herself back to sit against the headboard. Florence turned to look at Nat expectantly.

Natasha threw her a look of concern, "You don't remember anything?"

"No, no I do, I was just. I don't know. Hoping it wasn't true" A lonely tear escaped her eye. Natasha sprung up and embraced Florence as she cried again. "What am I going to do Nat? Our life was just becoming what we dreamed and it's all gone, just like that." Florence leaned back against the headboard, wiping her tears away as she composed herself.

"I gotta be honest with you Flo, I don't know. All you need to do right now is be as strong as you can for that little bean in there." She pointed towards Florence's stomach, "That little one in there is gonna need a kick-ass mum that I know you will be."

Florence moved her hands to caress her stomach. Natasha was right, she needed to be strong for the baby, others around her, and most importantly, Pietro.

- - - - - - -

TWO WEEKS LATER

Florence came out of her room and followed the voices towards the kitchen where she snuck in, undetected, listening to Steve, Nat, Tony, Rhodey and some others that Florence didn't recognise.

"It's been 23 days since Thanos came to Earth." Rhodey said.

Natasha leaned against the table as she spoke. "World governments are in pieces. The parts that are still working are trying to take a census. And it looks like he did... he did exactly what he said he was gonna do. Thanos wiped out fifty percent, of all living creatures"

Tony noticed Thor sitting by the wall, deep in thought. "What's wrong with him?" Tony pointed towards the God of Thunder.

A raccoon spoke up from the other side of the room, "Oh, he's pissed. He thinks he failed. Which of course he did, but you know there's a lot of that's going around, ain't there?"

"Honestly, until this exact second, I literaly thought you were a Build-A-Bear."

"Maybe I am."

Steve took control of the conversation, "We've been hunting Thanos for three weeks now. Deep Space scans, and satellites, and we got nothing. Tony, you fought him."

Tony looked towards Steve in fake surprise, "Who told you that? I didn't fight him. No, he wiped my face with a planet while the Bleecker Street Magician gave away the store. That's what happened. There was no fight."

"Did he give you any clues, any coordinates, anything?" Steve asked, not mentioning the way Tony was speaking to him.

"Pfft! I saw this coming a few years back. I had a vision. I didn't wanna believe it. Thought I was dreaming."

"Tony, I'm gonna need you to focus."

Tony looked at Steve, seething. "And I needed you. As in past tense. That trumps what you need. It's too late buddy. Sorry. You know what I need?" Tony stood up, pushing things off the table with a clatter. Everyone -bar Florence- winced at the noise. "I need to shave. And I believe I remember telling all youse -"

Tony goes to attack Steve. Rhodey quickly comes in front of him, trying to stop him.

"Otherwise what we needed was a suit of armor around the world! Remember that? Whether it impacted our precious freedoms or not- that's what we needed!"

"Well, that didn't work out, did it?"

Tony began to look more ill as he spoke, "I said, "we'd lose". You said, "We'll do that together too." And guess what, Cap? We lost. And you weren't there. But that's what we do, right? Our best work after the fact? We're the Avengers, we're the Avengers. Not the Prevengers."

Tony walked right up to Steve's face, his voice hushing down to a venomous whisper. "I got nothing for you, Cap! I got no coordinates, no clues, no strategies, no options. Zero. Zip. Nada. No trust. Liar."

Steve looked affected by Tony's words. The old friends just gaze at each other. After a moment, Tony rips his Arc Reactor from his chest and shoves it into Steve's hand.

"Here, take this. You find him, and you put that on. You hide. I lost Harry and the kid, two people I didn't want to GODDAMN loose but I did because you, weren't, there" He pokes his finger into Steve's chest as he finished his pained sentence.

Tony falls to the ground. Steve is by his side and everyone is started to gather. Florence however, stayed seated. She can't go through even more mourning than she was at the moment, loosing her fiancée, sister in law, colleagues, friends and now Harry. The one person she couldn't contact before the battle, now his life was ended too early before they could reconnect and fix their friendship.

Her face was stony, blank from emotion as her eyes welled with tears on their own accord. Eventually after getting Tony moved and into the med bay, they finally saw her. Too focused of the fight around them to notice the young woman sitting there, experiencing another wave of grief.

Steve walked towards Florence, slowly, "Flo, I-" He stopped mid-sentence and Florence stood up, one hand on her small, barely noticeable bump as she walked past him and made a bee-line towards her room.

Word Count: 1.2K

Hello my lovelies! I know it has been a long while (nearly a year 😧🫢) but i have decided to get back into writing ever so slowly so here is a short chapter to start us off.

It is currently 3:10am as I write this so it has definitely not had a spell or grammar check so if there's anything please let me know!

I know i like to make Florence's life suck atm but stick with it as I swear it gets better for her, I just need the motivation to write again 😫. Everything is planned i just need to actually figure my life out LMAO.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Hope everyone's 2024 is filled with love, happiness and good health!!