34. One Last Ride

Hailey's pov

It's only once I'm inside my private room, when I allow myself to let it all out. Everything that's been building up inside of me in the course of the last few days.

Once the shock and disbelief have finally washed out, I feel this wave of sadness rush throughout my entire body, making my eyes water and my legs shake as I stumble onto the floor, my back resting against the door. Salt streams rush down my cheeks as I pant uncontrollably, not able to breathe normally.

It can't be true...It can't be him...anyone but Charles.

Charles with his stupid cocky attitude and with those stupid green eyes. Even the image of him makes my stomach twist, my eyes pinching harder together as if that will get his face out of my head.

A thousand thoughts go through my mind, my head racing, spinning, thinking, trying to figure it all out.

How did he manage to fool me? Were there any signs I didn't see?

It all made perfect sense. Why wouldn't it? We were enemies for God's sake. Since the beginning, he only had shown hatred for me. Why did he switch up so fast? Why was he suddenly playing nice? And the worst part is, I thought he was being genuine.

I was a fool for trusting him, for letting my walls down, for giving myself to him.

'You just don't seem to get you're not wanted here.'

The words Charles once told me invade my head, repeating over and over again. Taunting me. I shake my head, trying to get his voice out of my head.

'Nothing is more important to me than winning.'

Nothing. That's excatly what I am to him. And I was stupid for believing him when he said otherwise.

My nails dig into my palms and suddenly, the sadness inside of me slowly turns into anger, as if a fire inside of me was just lit.

He never wanted me here. He wanted to beat me...be better than me. He wanted me gone. Out of the way. Nothing standing between him and his grand victory. And he managed to get what he wanted since the beginning, to destroy everything I had worked for, with only a piece of paper.

The price of a broken heart for a piece of metal-a trophy and a title.

There's just one thing that doesn't add up. If he was planning on getting me off the track than why not do it right away? Why accept Christian and Vasseur's deal? Why play with my heart just to rip it out of my chest in the end?

Or was that all part of his cruel and twisted game...make me fall for him? Make me suffer?

If I knew that this had been his plan all along, I would have begged him to twist the knife he had plunged on my back a bit sooner, so it would have hurt a bit less now.

Thought I doubt it would have hurt any less.

Thousands of questions linger in the air, all going unanswered as I taste the metal taste of blood in my mouth, not having realised I was biting my inner cheeks. No. It's not the taste of blood in my mouth. It's the taste of betrayal.

Charles Leclerc you fucking coward!

I tug at my hair, my line of vision blurry because of all the tears that seem to be falling.

All along, he had me wrapped around his hands. All along, I was at his mercy. Everything was all a lie. All of his words, all of the things he said—a big, messy lie.