17. In Love

Hailey's pov

"Why are you here?"

I turn around and my face drops at the person standing in front of me. Max is the last person who I thought would follow me in the ladies' restroom.

"You mean...in the bathroom?" I chuckle a bit, probably because of the alcohol I had but also because I'm a bit nervous.

"No." Max rans a hand through his hair and takes a deep breath, like he's taking up the courage to ask me "Why are you here with him?"

I shift my gaze to my hands, unable to look at him in the face. He doesn't deserve my lies, he deserves an explanation. An honest one. But I can't give that to him.

Max puts his hand under my chin, making me look him in the eye.

"What's going on?" He asks, concern on his face. He can tell that something's bothering me.

"Can we not do this right now?" I pull his hand away, trying to leave but he wraps his arm around my waist now, stopping me in place.

"You're not leaving until you explain everything to me." Max says, his voice cold.

I did want to talk to him but this doesn't feel like the right time nor the right place. However he doesn't seem like he will let this go.

"Charles and-" I begin to say but I realise that Max cringes when I say Charles' name "I'm with him."

Max scoffs and slowly shakes his head, clearly not believing what I just told him.

"Like hell you are." He says but I remain quiet which makes Max eyes widen a bit "Hailey, you're not being serious."

"I am, I told you...I'm with him." I try making my voice as even as possible.

"For how long?" He says, his eyes never leaving mine, his presence sucking all the air out of the room.

"About two weeks now."

I wish the ground would open and swallow me all because of the expression on his face. Max seems hurt, more than hurt. He seems betrayed.

"No way." He takes a few steps back "I don't believe you."

"I don't know what to tell you." I whisper, pulling my hair out of my face, suddenly feeling suffocated.

"You could tell me the truth."

"Everyone else is okay with the fact that we're dating, so why aren't you?"

"Because I'm not stupid." He closes the distance again "Literally a day ago, you were talking about how much you'd like to see Charles' downfall and now you're head over heels for him?" He shouts "What about our kiss? Did that mean nothing to you?"

"Max, lower your voice please." I start panicking. If anyone found out what happened between me and Max, it could ruin both of us.

"Why?" He asks and then his mouth falls open a bit, in realisation "He doesn't know."

I shake my head.

"You haven't told him." Max says and it's more of a statement then a question "If you're really together, why didn't you tell him?"

"It wasn't meant to happen....he doesn't have to know." I say knowing that the only reason why Charles would care about me and Max is because he could use it to get us out of the picture....to get me out of his way.

"So that's how you feel?" Max's voice shakes a bit, indicating that he's hurt.

I hurt him. It was never in my intention but I still hurt the only person who cared more about me than the others here.