8

Red Fountain - Vanguard | Training Arena

•• ━━━━━ ••●•• ━━━━━ ••

The combat training room was filled with the clang of clashing weapons, the grunts of exertion, and the occasional thud as someone hit the mat. Amidst the chaos, Riven moved through his routine with an air of detachment, treating the intense workout as nothing more than a perfunctory task.

At the far end of the room, Timmy's experience differed drastically. Beads of sweat dripped down his face as he struggled through the demanding warm-up. Labored breaths and the weightiness of his limbs betrayed the intensity of his effort. The instructor's sharp commands echoed, drawing curious glances from other students towards Timmy.

Riven maintained his focus on his own regimen, sparing only a brief, indifferent glance at Timmy. The instructor's relentless orders urged everyone to push their limits, intensifying the already challenging atmosphere.

Timmy's struggles hadn't gone unnoticed by the rest of the class. A few of the more competitive students exchanged smirks and whispers, questioning his competence. Some shook their heads at his faltering form, while one opportunist couldn't resist making a snide remark. "Hey, he actually managed to lift that one a little."

Having completed his set, Riven turned his attention to the small gathering around Timmy. Not a hint of sympathy but a raised eyebrow, questioning the need for such visible struggle.

"Come on, Timmy! Show us what you've got!" Another classmate jeered.

Laughter erupted amongst the group as Timmy's face turned bright red. He tried to ignore the comments, pushing himself harder to complete the exercises, but his fatigue was becoming increasingly apparent. His muscles screamed in protest, and his movements became more sluggish. 

The class, now fully aware of his struggles, openly observed and commented. The instructor's voice pierced through the noise as she approached the growing crowd. "Alright, everyone, 15 laps! Let's go!" She shouted, prompting an immediate response from the group.

Riven fell into step with the rest of the class, maintaining a steady stride to match the set pace, before gradually picking up speed as the laps progressed. He focused on the rhythmic cadence of his strides, followed by a distinct thud of his footsteps. 

As the class continued to circled the track, Riven noticed a commotion up ahead. Two students had circled back to where Timmy lagged behind. He was visibly struggling, several laps behind, his face flushed with exertion.

Laughter accompanied their teasing remarks. "Timmy, if you run any slower, you'll be going backwards!"

Timmy, trying to maintain his dignity, offered a sheepish apology. "Sorry, guys. I'm doing my best."

But the duo wasn't satisfied. They continued their mockery, reveling in Timmy's predicament. "We're already on our 10th lap. I think even a child could run faster than you."

Riven, nearing the group, silently overheard the exchange. "Move out of the way if you're done yapping." He declared, his voice carrying a quiet intensity that brooked no argument. "I need to finish my last lap so I can get back to training."

The two students, initially defiant, glanced up at Riven's imposing figure. His tall stature and composed demeanor gave them pause. Before they could challenge him, Riven's steely gaze locked onto theirs, and with a single raised eyebrow, he made it clear that he wouldn't tolerate any interference.

The students hesitated for a moment before reluctantly parting ways, creating a pathway for Riven to pass through. He continued his stride, not wasting another glance at the trio. Timmy seized the opportunity to push himself to complete the laps without the weight of mockery echoing in his ears.