4

Magix | The Joystick

❢◥ ▬▬▬ ◆ ▬▬▬ ◤❢

"Ugh, I give up. You're too good at this." Manuel sighed in defeat. He had become far too acquainted with the glow of the loss screen.

"Your technique is improving. Your last play was impressive." Timmy adjusted his glasses, a faint smile on his lips.

"Hearing it from a genius like you just makes me feel worse." Manuel leaned back in his seat and rested his hands behind his head.

"Come on, you know that Timmy means well. Besides, it was your idea to come here, remember?" Mikos placed a cold can of soda on Manuel's desk.

"I know, I just thought he'd at least let me win a round or two since he's abandoning us." Manuel swiveled his seat towards the group, cracking open the drink.

"You guys are overreacting. It was always my intention to go to Vanguard when I transferred to Red Fountain. It's not like we can't speak with each other anymore just because we go to different schools." Timmy reassured them, his voice carrying a hint of wistfulness.

"We know. It's just that the students at Vanguard are so intimidating." Oakley shuttered at the thought.

"I still don't understand why you'd want to waste your talents over there. Your blueprints are like a work of art." Mikos added, genuine curiosity and disappointment laced in his tone.

"I don't want to stay on the sidelines anymore. I want to be able to protect others." Timmy's voice softened, a flicker of vulnerability breaking through his usually composed demeanor.

Manuel rested a hand on Timmy's shoulder. "You've got to be one of the smartest people I've met. If anyone can handle Vanguard, it's you. Consider me your first fan."

Timmy's smile widened at Manuel's words of encouragement.

"You got this, Timmy. If you ever need anything, I'll do my best to help." Oakley earnestly pledged.

Mikos folded his arm, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "When you get bored from the lack of mental stimulation drop by the Hanger."

A soft chuckle escaped Timmy. "Thanks, guys. I appreciate your support."

"Alright, we can't leave without seeing Timmy lose at least once. Oaks, why don't you try this time?" Mikos glanced at Oakley, seeking confirmation.

Oakley raised her hands defensively, shaking her head. "No way. I haven't been playing recently. I wouldn't even last a round."

"Looks like we have to wish for a skillful stranger. Let's try looking online." Manuel leaned in, scrolling through the queues, scanning names until one caught his eye.

"Hmm, Timmy, come check this out." Manuel beckoned him over, pointing at the screen. The player displayed a flawless 100% win rate.

"Do you think it's real?" Manuel asked, his brow furrowing in curiosity.

"Perhaps, there's only one way to find out. Send a challenge." Timmy instructed, his voice holding a note of intrigue.

Manuel complied, gathering Oakley and Mikos around as the player accepted, ushering in the menu screen.

"Let's see what they got." Manuel cracked his knuckles, anticipation evident in the room. The group leaned in, eyes fixed on the screen as the match commenced. It didn't take long for the disparity in skill to become glaringly apparent.

Manuel's mouth fell slightly agape, not solely because of the screen's familiar red hue.

"They're good. Might even be better than you." Mikos draped an arm over Timmy's shoulder, disbelief coloring his tone.