2

Earth | Gardenia, California

●・○・●・○・●

Bloom savored the rich aroma of her mom's homemade lasagna as she took a delicate bite, the combination of flavors bursting in her mouth. The savory scent filled the kitchen, mingling with the serious tones of the news broadcast playing in the background.

"This arson case has really gotten out of hand." Mike remarked, his voice carrying concern.

Vanessa, focused on preparing her plate, nodded in agreement. "They still haven't found any leads?"

Mike sighed. "Multiple suspects. It's a mess. I'm just glad Bloom's not tangled up in all this."

As Mike changed the channel, Bloom hesitated before another bite, the weight of her secret pressing against her.

"Oh, that reminds me, How was the interview?" Vanessa asked, setting her plate down beside Bloom.

"It went well. She wants me to go to New York with her." Bloom shared, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

Vanessa's face lit up with pride. "That's incredible, Bloom. I'm so proud of you."

Bloom managed a weak smile. Sensing her daughter's hesitation, Vanessa placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "You don't seem entirely thrilled. Want to talk about it?"

Searching her mother's gaze, Bloom gathered her thoughts. "Mom, what would you do if you wanted something that feels so far out of your reach?"

"Sometimes, you just need to trust in yourself. You won't always have all the answers, but you must believe in your choices. Your dad and I will always stand by you, no matter what." Vanessa reassured, her eyes conveying unwavering support.

"Thanks, Mom. I really needed that," Bloom said, matching her mother's smile.

"Of course, sweetheart. We're here for you, always." Vanessa said, pulling Bloom into a warm embrace.

"I'm going to go to bed early tonight." Bloom excused herself to make her way to her bedroom. She quickly brushed her teeth, and washed the day off of her before settling onto her bed.  Her eyes fell on the orb sitting on her beside table. She held the glowing orb in her hands, her fingers tracing its smooth surface as she heard Faragonda's words play out in her mind. She wasn't even sure if she was capable of conjuring up such a flame again.

She signed and placed the orb back in the holder before opting to settle down for the night. As Bloom closed her eyes, the world around her dissolved into the realm of dreams.

In this surreal landscape, Bloom found herself amidst desolate ruins—walls crumbled, the ground cracked, a mere semblance of a structure left. "Hello?" Her voice echoed, unanswered, as she ventured through the ruins in search of life. A sleeping bird, as black as midnight, caught her eye, but before she could approach, a rumbling sound diverted her attention.

From behind emerged a figure engulfed in flames, their tormenting cries piercing through her mind. Bloom's instincts propelled her to flee, but obstacles appeared—another figure blocking her path, the ruins morphing into an inescapable labyrinth. Desperate, she found herself cornered, hands pressed against the walls as she braced for the approaching horde.

Screams ripped through the air, shocking Bloom awake. Flames enveloped her, an eerie sensation crawling across her flesh. She held her hands up slowly turning them around, watching the flames dance on her skin.

"Bloom! She's still upstairs! Let me go!" Her mother's urgent cry broke through, snapping her back to reality. Disoriented, she realized her home, her sanctuary for eighteen years, was crumbling like her nightmare.