Part 4.1

PRESENT TIME
LARAN VALLEY, KADREA

"Onyx, you traitor!" I scream.

Onyx looks down his treacherous snout at me. Lily, kindly do not cause a scene. You are embarrassing yourself in front of royalty.

Tears stream down my face. "I trusted you. You've been in cahoots with him the whole time!"

Onyx humphs. I have been in "cahoots" with no one. Now for the love of Phaedra, please collect yourself. You are giving this planet a bad name.

I can't believe this is happening. Onyx, here, bowing before the fire demon. Onyx, betraying me.

"You're a demon," I sob.

Lily, this is not the time, Onyx says. I will explain later, but King Dionysus is not our enemy.

"Oh it's king now, is it?" I shout.

A kazza tree behind me disappears.

The fire demon turns towards me. Child, you must calm yourself. The dark power is leaking out of you.

Calm myself. I'll blithering calm myself when there aren't two evil demons standing in front of me.

Lily...Onyx starts.

"I hate to interrupt this touching reunion," comes a grating voice from behind us.

Scion, free from Onyx's bubble prison, stands with his feet apart, arms raised. Green fire blooms at his fingertips.

Onyx growls. I will take care of him.

The fire demon nods at me. Get behind me, child. I will shield you.

I laugh hysterically. "Get behind you!" I shriek. "As if I'm siding with a couple of accursed demons!"

I call for my ice sword. It shines a menacing blue in my right hand, and its hilt is now decorated with black butterflies. I squeeze it until ice magic seeps into my veins.

"Get out of the way, Onyx," I hiss. "Scion's mine."

I blame Scion for all this, and I don't care if it makes no sense. First he kills my mentor, then he turns my oldest friend against me. I am going to annihilate him.

Green fire shoots towards us. I smack it with my sword, and it swerves, hitting a kazza tree and pulverising it. Black butterflies rise from the tree's ashes.

Another lash of green fire whips towards us, and another, and another.

"Traitor!" Scion screams at the fire demon. "You would side with the Phaedreans?!"

I lunge in front of Onyx, intercepting Scion's attacks before he can.

Lily, you need to stand down!

I ignore him. Another kazza tree blasts apart.

Lily!

I swing the sword again. And again. And again.

Onyx appears in front of me and knocks the sword out of my hand.

"I'm going to kill you!" I yell.

Lily, look. Look at the valley.

With him blocking my path, I have nothing else to do but look. And I see it soon enough. Smoke is rising from the Laran Valley. The faint sound of screams rises with it.

"What...?"

When you batted away Scion's attacks, some were diverted in the direction of the valley. You must stop.