Chapter 23

"These aren't the catacombs," Ciaran remarked as they stepped out of the shadows.

"No, they're not," Amaya said irritably. "The shadows were supposed to be Arawn's prison, but he learned to control them. It was him. He sent us through the wrong passage. He changed them."

"And where are we now?" asked Ciaran.

"In the Whispering Forest, so we should be careful," Amaya replied.

"If the ghosts belong to him, then why would they be hunting us now? He wants you alive after all," said Ciaran. "He needs you alive."

"But I didn't say we had to watch out for ghosts, his shadows, actually." she gave him a worried look. "They are not here now. They only come during the summer solstice. Who knows what else might find us in the darkness of the cursed forest."

"I'm starting to hate it," said Ciaran. "How everything is trying to kill me."

"Get used to it, Ciaran," Amaya told him. "Treat it the same way you did when you were a soldier. Everyone is an enemy. Everyone is trying to kill you. Only the difference is that dark creatures have sharp claws and fangs instead of swords and arrows."

"Except for the magical abilities," said Ciaran.

"Except for magical abilities," Amaya admitted.

They walked through the Whispering Forest. The first rays of the day were already creeping through the bare crowns of the trees. Snow and fallen branches cracked under their feet. A cold, morning wind was blowing. A dense mist was winding through the forest, distorting the senses. Amaya didn't even need to find out where exactly they were, her gut was guiding her. She had already passed this way so many times that even blind she would know where to walk.

A shadow flickered in the mist. A black figure emerged from behind one tree and disappeared behind another. Ciaran immediately drew his sword.

"There are shadows, after all," said Ciaran.

"This isn't a shadow," Amaya argued.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I don't know," she replied.

A puppy emerged from the fog. A small, black puppy. Its ears were down. It was sad. It looked at them with its cute eyes.

"It's just a puppy," Ciaran smiled.

"That's not a puppy, it's a shapeshifter."

She snatched the sword from his hand and pointed it at the innocent-looking puppy.

Ciaran backed away from the puppy. It didn't seem so cute to him anymore.

"Did the Shadow King send you to spy?" she asked it.

The shapeshifter changed into the form of Ciaran. Amaya pressed the tip of her sword against his neck. The shapeshifter laughed.

"Don't provoke," she told him with venom on her tongue.

He transformed into his original form. His blond hair fell into his bright blue eyes. Dressed all in white. In the darkness of the forest, it almost glowed.

"Yes, I was sent by the Shadow King to see that you do not die. He has duties with the ruling and cannot watch over you, Miss Amaya," said the shapeshifter.

"I don't need supervision like a small child. You can turn around and go back to your master saying I'm sending him to the depths of the Void." Amaya snapped at him.

"I'm afraid you have no choice," he smirked. "By the way, my name is Abnus. Just call and I'll show up.''

He bowed to her. He turned into a raven and flew away.