1.1) Introduction - Aria

"Fight!" Ayruk said, blowing his whistle. A crowd had emerged into the magnificent Kalador training room - one of the few places in the galaxies that trained young royals from other planets to spar and learn from one another. In the corner of her eye, she could see her mother standing behind an array of guards and royal diplomats.

Aria drew her spear, its tip scraping along the metal floor. Her opponent was Blake of Dolphadea, the last competitor standing before her glory. He had chosen his usual swords swinging valiantly at his fingertips as the pair circled around.

Every royal who came to Kalador's academy had a reason to come. As for Aria, life hadn't been easy for her. Her father had died a few months ago defending Kalador's honour, resulting in her mother's ascension to the throne...and her mother wasn't the same as him. Per Kaladorian tradition, the princesses and queens of the nation were rarely warriors and...well more of the guardians that stood behind the warriors.

That was why Aria joined. Everyone assumed she had it easy - no complications or hardships. All of them were wrong. Being a royal wasn't easy, she had to juggle duties, expectations and sometimes...she wished she was born into an easy life like a baker or maybe even a farmer! But the world worked in mysterious ways and she couldn't change her life.

Now, she had to prove to the galaxies - to her people that a leader had to be fierce and kind at the same time. Even so, she knew this battle would be a piece of cake.

Aria glanced at Blake, cautious and ready for any signs of movement. She had to examine him closely - what were his reasons for joining the academy?

"Don't go easy," Aria smirked. "I like a challenge."

In a graceful motion, Blake quickly advanced, his blades swinging toward Aria and his silver armor shining in the light.

Aria spun her spear and leaped to the side as metal and metal clashed. Blake was vicious, his swings quick and hauntingly accurate. She was left with no choice but to defend Blake's blows, but she was always a second behind. Aria was too slow, she was struggling to keep up with the relentless onslaught.

Their movements shone as Blake constantly swung and Aria constantly spun.

"Remember your training!" Ayruk called from the stands. "You've come so far, you can't lose now!"

'Out there, this could mean life or death,' her mentor always repeated. Kaladorian operatives and really any operative out there needed to move gracefully and quickly. Two things that never agreed with Aria.

Aria shifted tactics, twirling around and away from her opponent, her spear spinning in a deadly dance. She swept her spear in a deadly arc, missing Blake by an inch as a sword was knocked from his hand.

This gave Aria an opportunity. Sparks of blue electricity jolted off her body as she ran at Blake at an astonishing speed. She circled the poor boy who could see nothing but glimpses.

Before anyone could blink, Aria appeared behind her, her spear sweeping into Blake's exposed side.

In a calculated move, Blake swiftly ducked and swiped his sword, disarming Aria as the spear skidded across the room.

Aria jumped back, giving her moments to rethink. 'Blake could shift to another dimension, and he wasn't using it? Hah!'

CRACK!

'Thought too early,' Aria sighed. She spun around, arms ready at her chest but Blake was nowhere to be seen. She had to win this battle...Ayruk was right. She had come too far.

Aria danced along the ground, her hands waving around her body. The crowd looked at her in confusion and some even booed.

Lightning followed through the air, leaving trails of blue wherever she moved. She twirled in the air landing just as she heard a fateful CRACK!

Blake appeared behind, his sword swinging into Aria's waist. She sidestepped the swing, stepping onto Blake's sword as it went down.

The trails of lightning bolted to Aria's fist as she sent a blow to Blake's chest. The blow sent him spiraling into the wall with a thundering zap. The crowd went silent.

Ayruk stood up and clapped. "Aria of Kalador wins!" he announced. Cheers burst all over the hall as Aria wiped the sweat and blood off her face.

She had finally won.