18 - red ribbon

I could say I never dare
To think about you in that way, but

They're currently in Ricky's bedroom, like they've been since 3 oclock this afternoon. Nini has never been to his house before this, the whole thing was whites and greys, minimalistic, somewhat cold. It was large, bigger than most houses shes ever been inside, there were barely any pictures, a very proper portrait was the only hung frame she saw. 

Ricky's room however, was a completely different story. The walls were black (some sort of chalkboard paint), the floor wood, through there was a rug. It was the opposite of minimalistic; paints, art materials, sketchbooks, novels that could fill a whole library stacked around in a mess, a bunch of guitars, records and warm lights. Some sort of organised chaos that Nini absolutely adored, as much as she refrained from expressing it. There was life in the room, like a whole secret personality. 

Theres a knock on the door, they're on the bed splayed out and working. Ricky in the middle of another practice quiz. Mike comes in, a gentle look on his face. He looks like he just got home, tie slightly lose. "Hey Rick"

Ricky sits up, a smile creeping in. "Hi dad"

"sorry to disturb bud but I'm sure your mother's gonna come ask in a bit, who's coming to dinner with us?"

"huh?"

"the date for the ball, your pappy"

"i thought he just wanted a name!"

"Richard you spoke to him on the phone on tuesday"

"ive been focused on school I forgot, I asked Gi but she's already going with EJ, can't we just make an excuse for tonight?"

"I would not mess with your mother tonight" Mike mumbles. Ricky looks back at Nini then his dad, him and his dad stepping out of the room for a few minutes. When he comes back in he looks just a teeny bit off. 

"You good?" she asks, trying to be casual about it but failing. 

"yeah"

"actually Nini can I ask for a favor?"

"um sure go ahead"

"I know youre not the biggest fan of me"

"i think that goes both ways"

"mhm but um, i really need an escort to the thanksgiving charity ball thing later thing month and your grandma is probably invited so you'd probably attend anyways and Lily isn't really an option and im just a bit short on time and i need someone to come to dinner tonight cause i cant afford to screw up and-"

"Ricky, RICHARD breathe" she gets him to shut up "ill go ill pretend whatever, its okay, dont freak out" she gives him a small smile. "what's so important about dinner anyways?"

"nothing it's just a weekly kinda formal dressed  dinner thing at my nonna and pappys, theyre quite particular, starts at seven, sometimes a bit later like today" 

"wait friday nights at seven?"

"mhm" 

"YOU HAVE FRIDAY NIGHT DINNERS"

he stays quiet, he's very confused. 

"you're basically rory gilmore" she nods. 

"excuse me?" 

"gilmore girls ricky"

"no idea what you're blabbing about sal-robs"

"the show, wait ill tell you about it. . . "