4 - calm before the storm

Nini straightens out her dress and opens her hair, fixing it

Nini straightens out her dress and opens her hair, fixing it. It's now completely dark outside, she grabs her phone from the side table and glances out the window for a moment, his curtains are shut and there's no light, she shakes her head, wondering why she even looked.

She walks down the stairs, heading towards the dining table. Malou is sitting at the head already, talking to Dana and Carol in the kitchen.

"Ah look at you, my beautiful baby" she smiles, instantly making Nini smile too, she stands behind her grandmother, arms loosely wraps over her shoulders. Maeve comes out of Malou's room, changed out of her usual scrubs, a bag in her hand. She waves goodbye, leaving to go out for the night. Nini wheels Malou to the living room after that, to wait for the Hus.

She walks back to the kitchen to help put all the food on the table, carefully covered so it doesn't get very cold. She stands at the edge on the table, fixing a tilted placemat when Dana comes up behind her, kissing the side of her head "you look pretty love"
"You too mama"

A while later, the doorbell rings. They're all in the living room, Carol opens the door. Katherine and Huan hug Carol and Dana before coming into the house. The four siblings walk in after them, Gracie and August immediately run over to Winter. Zeph chucks her very stuffed backpack onto the couch, hugging Nini and Malou.

"Hey Ni, long time no see" someone says, leaning against the door frame. She turns around, hugging him tight. He chuckles, messing with her hair.

"Kenji! Our first baby my god it's been ages" Dana says hugging him for a second. Kathy and Huan have four children, Kenji is their oldest, in his second year of college, then Zephyr, then Grace who is seven and Auggie who is six. Everyone greets each other, settling down in the living room. Nini and Zeph decide to head upstairs for a little bit before dinner, Kenji tags along.
"Dinner in ten minutes okay!" Kathy yells out to them as they run up the stairs.

"Your bag weighs more than you do" Kenji says, throwing her backpack onto Nini's bed. "What on earth is in here?"
"Don't even ask, I'm staying the night"