6 - our silly little song

It's close to three in the morning; Zeph, Gracie and Auggie are passed out on Nini's bed, sprawled out completely.

Kenji and Nini chuckle lightly, sitting on the mattress on the floor with their backs to the bed, scrolling through tiktok. The light from the phone screen glowing lowly on their face.

"You know" she whispers "it's completely ridiculous that we're still blocked on all your socials" he smiles, half a smirk as he looks down, rolling his eyes a little as she recalls him blocking Zephyr and her when he was in high school. "Oh c'mon Kenj, at least unblock me" she nudges "what on earth are you hiding?" His face gets shyer. He doesn't give in.

They scroll lazily for a while longer, keeping their voices bellow a whisper. "It's getting late, they'll probably come home early in the morning, we should sleep" he suggests. She hesitates for a moment. "Okay, can you go to the drawer?"

He raises his eyebrows at her but gets up anyways, slowly he opens the top drawer on her bedside table, trying to avoid creaks. There's a few stray things, and three pill bottles neatly lined up in the corner. "Third one to the left" she whispers, almost embarrassed.

He picks up the bottle delicately, carefully closing the drawer and comes back to sit next to her. Halcion he reads the bottle, 'Nina S-R" in small black font on the prescription label. She's looking at him, though now she has no idea what to say. "You still take these?"

"Not everyday, I stopped in the middle, it's just the past few weeks, I've needed them most nights" He nods understandingly, opening the weird bottle lid, there's a small opening, he takes out a pill. When he closes the lid it locks. "One at a time" she says "they're just being cautious"

She takes the pill with water, he gets up behind her, waiting for her to finish drinking. He hugs her gently "I'm sorry I haven't been around" she holds on tighter, she doesn't say anything.

They settle back down on the mattress, she lies down while he's still sitting. "Hey you know what you always loved?" He smiles. "Always put you to sleep"

She laughs lightly, realizing what he's talking about. "That was so long ago, like elementary school"

"Shush it still works, now I don't sound as good as you do" he tilts his head "but it'll do"
He clears his throat, keeping his voice low and soft, barely above a whisper but it's soothing.

Baby beluga in the deep blue sea
Swim so wild and you swim so free
Heaven above and the sea below
And a little white whale on the go

Baby beluga, baby beluga
Is the water warm
Is your mama home with you, so happy

Way down yonder where the dolphins play
Where you dive and splash all day
Waves roll in and the waves roll out
See the water squirtin' out of your spout

Baby beluga, oh, baby beluga
Sing your little song
Sing for all your friends, we like to hear you

When it's dark, you're home and fed
Curl up, snug in your water bed
Moon is shining and the stars are out
Good night, little whale, good night

Baby beluga, oh, baby beluga
With tomorrow's sun, another day's begun
You'll soon be wakin'

Baby beluga in the deep blue sea
Swim so wild and you swim so free
Heaven above and the sea below
And a little white whale on the go
You're just a little white whale on the go

By the time he finishes, she's asleep, though he figures it's most likely the medicine starting to work it's effect. He looks at her peaceful face, then back to the bottle in his palm, gently rolling his thumb over the smooth plastic. His mind wanders back to when he was about three or four and Dana used to sing this song to them, when Nini was still a baby and zephyr was a Newborn; and back in fourth grade when Nini and Zeph had just started first grade, and some idiot in her class would bully her, one night she kept waking up and he sung her the song, bits and pieces that he remembered. It's a weird feeling, melancholy nostalgia, the thought comforts him.

He presses a light kiss to the side of her head, before grabbing a blanket and curling up in her egg chair, drifting to sleep.

how did we like this?
its a lil short
word count : 751
i never proofread get used to it

i love yall

i hope this gave u comfort