Chapter 51

By the time that Severus and Harry had sat down for breakfast the next morning, Severus was still trying to come up with the words to tell Harry about the letter. He had all but decided to bite the bullet as they say and just spit it out. But he hardly thought that announcing it with no warning over their morning toast and eggs was the proper way to deliver such news.

Then, just as he was finishing his coffee, there was a knock on his door, further delaying the news.

Harry looked behind him towards the kitchen door, as if that alone would tell him who was visiting them at this hour of the morning. Severus gave a sigh and dropped his napkin onto the table before standing up.

When he opened the door, Severus was surprised to find Professor Flitwick on the other side. Though before he could even say good morning, Flitwick bustled into the parlor.

"I'm sorry to disturb your breakfast, Severus, but I really need to discuss something with you and it's rather important."

Severus nodded, sensing the urgency in the older man. "Of course."

He went back to the doorway of the kitchen but only stuck his head inside. "Harry, Professor Flitwick and I will be in my lab if you need me."

"Sure," Harry said around a mouthful of toast.

"Don't talk with food in your mouth."

Harry rolled his eyes but said nothing as Severus disappeared back into the parlor.

Severus led Flitwick down the hallway to his lab and then took a seat behind his desk, motioning for Flitwick to have a seat as well.

Flitwick took a seat with a sigh.

"I wanted to speak with you about this on Friday, Severus, but I got caught up with helping a student with their charms essay and unfortunately it slipped my mind. Then you were out of the castle yesterday."

"Quite alright," Severus assured him, though he was rather hoping that Flitwick would just get on with whatever it was he had to say.

"On Friday afternoon, I was headed to the Great Hall when I noticed a group of students in the hallway. They each had their wands raised and I overheard Fred Weasley threatening to hex Allen Daley."

"Then why, may I ask, aren't you telling this to Minerva?" Severus asked with a frown.

"Because it appeared that Mr. Weasley, and most of the others in the group, were trying to protect someone else: Mr. Malfoy. He was pressed against the wall, while Daley, Marcus Flint, and Roderick Kingsbury all stood surrounding him. I missed the beginning I'm afraid, but I couldn't shake the feeling that they were harassing Malfoy and that the Weasley children, Harry, Ms. Granger, Mr. Finnigan, Mr. Thomas, and the Greengrass sisters were simply trying to step in to help. I did take points from all of them but I felt like you should know. I don't know about the other teachers, and I certainly can't speak for him outside of my classroom, but I've noticed a change in Mr. Malfoy." Flitwick seemed uncertain as he said this, but he pressed on anyway. "He always sits alone in my class now and doesn't speak unless spoken to. His Charms grade has also been falling slightly over the last few weeks."

Severus nodded. "Thank you for letting me know. I have also noticed a change in Draco, but he insists that everything is fine."

Severus sighed as he stood up and paced the length of his lab once before speaking again. "I do know that he has received at least one letter from his father expressing his displeasure in Draco's choice of friends as of late. I'm sure that's really come as no surprise. And I had been wondering how he was getting along with his Housemates lately. I suppose I should try to have another word with him. Maybe he will open up about whatever it is."