Chapter 38

"Alright," Snape said as he and Harry walked around the Christmas Tree lot in search of the perfect tree. "We need a big one."

"Right," Harry agreed as he shoved his hands into the pocket of his light blue coat. They were in the village near the manor, and both were wearing warm Muggle clothes. Even Snape was sporting a dark grey coat and black trousers. Harry was sure that he would never get used to seeing Snape in anything other than robes.

"How about this one?" Snape asked, pointing to a tall but narrow tree.

"No," Harry said. "It has to be big around, too. Not just tall."

They walked a bit farther past smaller trees and Harry stopped to look at a few, but none of them were quite what he had pictured. No, the tree had to be perfect and that meant that it needed to be tall enough to fit inside the parlor, and big enough around that it filled out the space in front of the window. Snape had even suggested that they could always get one that wasn't quite perfect and use magic to fix it how they wanted, but that didn't seem right to Harry. He was sure that if they just looked hard enough, they would find it.

After all, this was going to be the perfect Christmas and so he had no doubt that they would find the perfect tree. They had to.

"Stay in sight, Harry," Snape said mildly as Harry walked ahead of him.

"I'm just looking over here, Snape," Harry called back as he walked farther towards the back of the lot. He could still hear Snape behind him so Harry figured he wasn't too far away as he scrutinized a group of fir trees.

Movement out of the corner of his eye caught Harry's attention and he looked around the tree to see what it was. Standing there, in the midst of several large trees was the biggest black dog that Harry had ever seen. But it wasn't though, because it looked exactly like the black dog he'd seen the night he left Privet Drive.

"The Grim," Harry breathed as he started to back slowly away, never taking his eyes off the dog. "Snape," Harry called out as calmly as he could. The dog cocked his head and continued to stare at Harry.

"Coming, Harry," Snape called back and suddenly the dog gave a low, menacing growl, its sharp teeth bared as if ready to attack.

Harry backed farther away, his breath coming in shallow puffs as he considered what to do. "Snape!" He could hear Snape coming faster now and then all at once, the dog turned and ran off.

"Harry!" Snape came into view just as the dog disappeared. "What's wrong?" Snape was looking around and Harry noticed his hand hovering over his left wrist where he knew his wand was tucked inside his sleeve.

"You didn't see that dog?" Harry exclaimed. "It was the Grim!"

"Dog? No, I didn't see any dog, Harry. What are you talking about, the Grim?"

Harry pointed to where the dog had been. "He...it was-"

"It's alright, Harry," Snape put his arm around him and pulled him close. "Just take a breath."

Harry tried to steady his breathing as he thought about the dog. When he was sure that he was fine he moved away from Snape with a blush. "Sorry," he murmured.

"There's nothing to be sorry for," Snape replied as he looked down at Harry. "Except for maybe not staying in sight like I asked you to."

Harry sighed. "Yes, sir."

"Alright," Snape said as he turned around before stopping abruptly. "Harry, I think you found it!"

Harry glanced up at Snape's words and sure enough there was the tree. It was easily nine feet tall and so big around that Harry had to back up in order to see the whole thing.