Chapter 15

A few days after Harry's birthday, he was sitting against the headboard of his bed with his new Defense book propped up against his knees. He had been pouring over the book since Snape had given it to him and he wondered what Snape would say if he asked him to teach him one of the spells inside it.

Harry snorted. He didn't have to wonder because he could practically hear Snape now, asking him why he thought he would ever need to actually learn such spells and that Harry, the arrogant rule breaker that he was, had probably already tried at least a dozen of the spells on his own anyway. Still, he thought, it couldn't hurt to just ask.

Just then, there came a knock at Harry's door and Snape opened it before stepping inside. He stood beside Harry's desk, his face impassive as he asked, "Did you finish your chores for today, Potter?"

Harry nodded as he set his book aside before swinging his legs off the side of the bed. "Yes."

Snape's forehead crinkled. He took a step closer to the bed, folding his arms across his chest. "You did? All of them?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Yes, Snape." He held up his hand and started ticking off with his fingers. "I cleaned up after breakfast, then you watched me as I cleaned those cauldrons in your lab. I dusted the parlor and cleaned up my room and bathroom. I even polished the dining room table and mopped the floors. Without magic." When Snape only raised an eyebrow at him, Harry smirked, "Honestly, Snape, you're going to have to do better than that if you're trying to make it hard."

"Watch it, young man," Snape warned but Harry just glared evenly back at him.

"So can I go flying then?" Harry asked suddenly, jumping off the bed. "I want to test out the school brooms."

"Maybe later," Snape answered. He turned to straighten up the pile of papers littering Harry's desk and said, "I have to go to a meeting with the Headmaster in a moment and I want you to stay inside."

Harry's shoulders slumped but he didn't argue. He had been working very hard on keeping his temper in check and he wasn't about to lose it over this. He had already been down this road several times since coming to live with Snape and it never worked out when he pushed the man after he had already said no. Instead, Harry decided to change the subject entirely and turned to pick up his book from where he had left it on the bed.

"Fine." He said glumly. "I'm going to study my book in the parlor then."

Snape inclined his head and followed him out of the room and down the hall to the parlor where Harry dropped down onto the couch, pulling his feet up into the cushion.

"Shoes off the couch." Snape absently said as he used his wand to spell flames into the fireplace.

Harry, who had already opened his book, merely kicked off his shoes and resumed his position on the couch. Before he lost his nerve, he asked, "Do you think you could teach me some of these spells sometime?"

To Harry's surprise, Snape actually looked as if he were considering his request. "Do you have any particular spell in mind?"

Harry gave the first spell he could think of before Snape could change his mind. "Reducto?"

Snape hummed in response as he replaced his wand inside the sleeve of his robes. "That's a fourth-year spell, Potter."

Harry nodded. "I know."

Snape seemed to be giving it a great deal of thought and Harry was sure that he was going to deny his request. Finally, though, Snape nodded. "Perhaps tomorrow." Then he added, "If you behave."

Harry grinned. "Thanks, Snape."

Snape began to walk to the door as he said, "I will be back shortly. Stay inside."