Chapter 8

The next morning, Harry awoke with a groan before rolling over onto his side and pulling the blankets up over his head. He lay there in the warmth and comfort of the soft mattress for a whole two minutes before he realized that he wasn't sleeping on the lumpy mattress in Privet Drive with the threadbare blanket that uncovered his feet if he pulled it over his head.

He rolled back to face the ceiling and tugged the blankets away from his face, taking the warmth away with them. Everything was blurry without his glasses but it didn't matter. He suddenly remembered where he was.

In Snape's dungeons.

The events from the day before came rushing back in waves. Leaving the Leaky Cauldron. Going down into Knockturn Alley. Snape taking him back. The floo into Dumbledore's office. Being told that Snape was now his guardian. Lunch with Snape and the accidental magic that rattled the plates on the table. Being forced to take a nap. Snape taking him shopping! His own room. Dinner and the argument with Snape. Getting caught eavesdropping and Snape making him write those lines. A Gryffindor-themed bathroom! And then, Snape was in his room before he went to sleep. Telling him about dementors and Professor McGonagall and Dumbledore adopting him.

Harry groaned again. He had been so sure that it had all been a dream. Or a nightmare. Or something. He reached over to the bedside table where he remembered that Snape had put his glasses and put them on his face, bringing the room into focus. A glance at the clock let him know that it was 7:56. He needed to get up and get ready for breakfast. He definitely didn't want to add being late to the list of things that Snape was surely already mad at him for.

With a long sigh, Harry left the comfiest bed he'd ever slept on, even more, comfortable than his bed in Gryffindor Tower, and walked over to the wardrobe where all his new clothes had been put away. Without paying much attention to what he was picking, Harry pulled out a clean pair of jeans and a gray shirt before heading to the bathroom to change.

***

Once he was ready, Harry quietly stepped out of his room and made his way down the hall to the kitchen where he found Snape already sitting at the table, the Daily Prophet was held open in his hands, hiding his face from Harry's view. The table was empty except for a cup of coffee sitting to Snape's right.

Harry stood there for a minute, unsure of what to say or if he should just go to the table. However, Snape saved him from needing to say anything when he, himself, spoke first.

"Potter, are you aware that this is a dungeon?" He asked without looking up from his paper.

Harry frowned in confusion. "Yes, sir."

"Then I am sure you are also aware that it is generally much cooler down here than it is in the rest of the castle?"

"Yes, sir," Harry answered again.

Snape lowered the newspaper. "Why then, Potter, are you not dressed properly in socks and shoes? Do you enjoy feeling your feet go numb with cold?"

"How did you-" But Harry cut himself off and shook his head. "I guess I just don't like for my feet to be too warm." He stated. "And besides, it's not as if I'm going anywhere today."

Snape folded his paper and set it to the side before tapping the table with his right hand causing their breakfast to appear instantly.

"Eat, Mr. Potter. Then you will finish dressing before you begin your lines."

Harry closed the distance between himself and the table and sat down in the same chair he had sat in yesterday on the right side of Snape.

He filled his plate with toast, eggs, sausage, and jam then began to eat, making sure that he didn't go too fast so that Snape wouldn't have anything to say about him this time.