Chapter 32

Over the next couple days, the students of Hogwarts could talk of nothing else besides Sirius Black. They theorized every possible way that they could think of on how he had gotten in and how he had also gotten back out without being seen.

Sir Cadogan and his fat grey pony had been hung in place of The Fat Lady and no one could wait until she was back. Sir Cadogan's favorite pastime seemed to be challenging the students to duels, and thinking up ridiculously hard passwords and changing them at least twice a day.

Aside from that, Harry noticed that he was being closely watched. It seemed that teachers were always finding excuses to walk with him in the halls from class to class. It was growing increasingly irritating but by the end of classes on Tuesday, it got exceptionally worse.

Their last class of the day was Transfiguration, and Professor McGonagall had just dismissed them. As Harry was gathering up his book and notes, she called out to him.

"Potter, please stay behind for a moment."

Harry exchanged looks with Ron and Hermione, wondering if he had done anything that would cause his Head of House to be upset with him, but he could think of nothing as of late that he had done. When the classroom had emptied, he walked up to stand in front of her desk and noticed that Professor McGonagall looked deeply worried. Her lips were set in a thin line and her eyebrows seemed to crease together as she looked down at him.

When the door closed behind the last student, she spoke just barely above a whisper.

"Harry, I'm not sure how much Severus has told you about Sirius Black-"

"I know that he's after me," Harry rushed to assure her. "Snape told me before the term even started."

McGonagall nodded solemnly. "Alright. That's good, then." She sat back down in her chair behind her desk and folded her hands in front of her. "Then it shouldn't be hard for you to understand what I'm about to tell you. I think, at least for now, that it would be best if you no longer practiced quidditch in the evenings. With only your team members around, it's very dangerous-"

Harry's eyes widened in surprise and outrage. "No! We've got our first match on Saturday! I've got to train! Especially since I still don't have a new broom."

This was obviously news to McGonagall as she looked taken aback.

"You're still using a school broom?"

Harry nodded. "Snape won't let me buy a new one with my money from my vault. He keeps telling me I'm supposed to save it for my future. Which is ridiculous because it looks like there is loads in there." He stopped then as he realized he'd been rambling and looked up at his professor. "But please, don't say anything to him about it. We've been fighting about it a lot lately and I don't want him to be mad at me."

McGonagall smiled at the boy and shook her head.
"I wouldn't get into the middle of that anyway, though I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. I do stand behind my decision as your Head of House, though. I just don't think it's safe for you to be out there alone."

Harry sighed. "Please, Professor. I've got to train. We're up against Slytherin!"

"Well," McGonagall studied him closely for a long moment before she finally consented. "Alright, but I'm going to insist that it be supervised. I'll ask Madam Hooch if she is available but I do not want to find out that you have stepped foot on that quidditch pitch until you hear from me first. I want your word, Harry."

Harry nodded quickly. "I promise. Our next practice is tonight though..."

"I will talk to her and let you know before practice. In the meantime, where are you headed now?"