Chapter 10

Harry awoke the next morning feeling better than he had in weeks. Even better than the first night in his new bed in Snape's quarters because this morning, he woke up with almost no pain. He was surprised to find that the only tenderness he felt came from his achy muscles from having slept for so long and from his ribs, though even that was down to just a slight soreness.

He took a moment to stretch out on the bed, pulling his arms high above his head, giving a contented sigh when the movement didn't cause him to gasp in pain. Sitting up, he reached for his glasses on the nightstand, threw back the covers and stood in search of the clothes he had been wearing the day before. Spotting them folded neatly on a chair beside the bed, he quickly grabbed them up. However, before he even had a chance to undo the first button on his pajama top, the curtains around his bed were pulled open to reveal a stern faced Madam Pomfrey carrying a tray of food.

"Oh, no you don't." She began as she sat the tray down on the small bedside table. "You get back into bed this instant, Mr. Potter. It is far too soon for you to be up."

"But I feel fine, really." Harry tried to assure her but Madam Pomfrey simply shook her head and pointed to the bed.

"No, Mr. Potter," she repeated firmly. "You are going to get in bed and have your breakfast. After that, I'm going to run another diagnostic spell over you to assess your condition and then you are going to rest."

"Rest?!" Harry protested, crossing his arms over his chest as he scowled at the mediwitch. "All I've been doing is resting!"

"Because it's exactly what you need."

Harry shook his head. "What I need is to get out of here. I'm fine, honest."

Madam Pomfrey sighed. "Mr. Potter, I am certainly not going to stand here and argue with you about this. You will do as I have said, or I will be forced to call Professor Snape and allow him to deal with you."

Unfortunately, as Harry's luck would have it, Snape chose that precise moment to enter the room. Harry groaned.

"That won't be necessary, Madam Pomfrey." He said in his usual cold tone as he matched Harry's stance by crossing his own arms over his chest and glaring down at the boy. "Are you unable to follow the simplest of instructions, Potter?"

"I'm fine," he said again, though this time it was with less conviction than before. "I shouldn't have to stay here."

Snape turned to fully face Madam Pomfrey. "If you could allow me a moment with my young ward, Madam, I assure you that I will take care of this."

Madam Pomfrey merely inclined her head and said, "He needs to eat all his breakfast, Severus. Including his nutrient potion."

"You have my word," Snape replied before she turned away from them and walked back to her office.

When they heard her office door close with an ominous click, Snape looked back at Harry, his expression just as stern as it had been when he came in. "Into bed with you." He ordered sharply.

"Professor-" Harry started, but Snape held a hand up to silence him.

"Into. Bed." His already dark eyes seemed to darken further as he glared down at him and with a sigh, Harry reluctantly did as he was told.

Once he was back in bed, though he refused to get under the covers, choosing instead to simply sit against the headboard, Snape moved the tray table and its contents over to Harry so that he could eat. "Eat."

Harry looked down at the plate of food. Steaming porridge with fruit, buttered toast, strawberry jam, and sausages. Beside it sat a tall glass of juice and a smaller glass with what Harry assumed was the nutrient potion, though he thought it looked more like a creamy, vanilla milkshake. Admittedly, everything looked and smelled delicious and Harry's mouth began to water at the sight of it. He picked up his spoon and took a small bite of porridge without looking up at Snape.