Chapter 19

Dinner was a relatively quiet affair. Snape and Harry sat in their usual spots at the dinner table, with Snape at the head and Harry to his right. Draco sat across from Harry and glared down at his food, pushing it around on his plate more than he was actually eating it.

"I don't want this." He said with a sneer. "It's disgusting."

Harry knew that he was only saying it to try and rile him up and therefore, he tried to ignore him. He and Snape had worked hard on the lemon chicken, mashed potatoes and carrots, and brussel sprouts and he knew that it all tasted just fine. Harry simply looked at Draco and took another bite of his chicken.

Draco, still trying to get a response, sighed heavily. "Isn't there anything else?"

This time, Harry opened his mouth to tell Malfoy to get over himself, but before the words could come out, he remembered his earlier conversation with Snape and promptly pressed his lips together and said nothing. He glanced up at Snape and was surprised to see him staring back at him intently. He wasn't smiling exactly, but Harry thought for a moment that the man looked pleased about something. Harry shook the thought away and once more turned back to his food.

"You do not have to eat it, Draco," Snape said suddenly. "However, if you choose not to, you will need to either fix yourself a sandwich or wait until breakfast in the morning. I will not ask Jenka to make something else just because you don't want what we're having."

"But, Uncle Severus," Draco whined, "it's terrible."

"It is no such thing," Snape countered cooly and speared a piece of chicken with his fork.

Draco huffed but said nothing else on the subject.

As always, after dinner, Snape retired to the living room where tea and biscuits were already waiting for them on the coffee table. Draco took Harry's seat next to Snape. Harry could feel that same emotion from earlier that day, bubbling up inside him, but he swallowed it down and instead, reached for his red-rimmed teacup before Draco had a chance to steal that as well.

Draco noticed his quick grab and eyed him intently for a moment before choosing another cup, this one with a blue edge, and fixing his tea how he liked it.

They drank in relative silence for a while before Draco turned to Snape.

"Uncle Severus," he said, "Why is there a school broom in the cupboard? I noticed it when I got mine out earlier."

Harry grit his teeth.

"I brought it for Potter to use," Snape replied simply before taking a drink of his tea.

That only served to bring Draco's attention back to Harry as he looked at him with genuine confusion. "Where's your Nimbus 2000, Potter? Surely the muggles didn't keep it," he said smugly.

Harry thought about how much he hated the boy across from him. "I don't have it anymore," was all he said before glaring down into his tea. But of course, that wouldn't be enough for Draco, so he continued to push for answers.

"What happened to it?"

The very last thing that Harry wanted to do was explain about the dementors and how he'd been out flying when he wasn't supposed to. He sighed. "A flying accident last month. It was irreparable when it was found."

Harry didn't miss the look of deep satisfaction that crossed Draco's face before Snape spoke up. "I believe it's time for the two of you to get ready for bed."

Both boys looked up at the clock. It was just now nine-thirty.

"It's too early!" Draco protested immediately.