Chapter 40

Harry stared silently out the window from where he sat in his favorite spot in the library. This window faced the backyard, and he could see the Quidditch pitch that Snape had set up for him. He was still in shock that he had an entire pitch just for him, and he couldn't wait for Ron and the twins to come over to play. He snorted as he shook his head. As if that would ever happen.

"Staring off into space is not going to get that essay written," Snape suddenly spoke up from behind him, making Harry jump.

"Two rolls of parchment!" Harry complained loudly as he dropped his quill down onto the table where he was sitting. "That's something you would assign, not Remus. Are you sure you didn't put him up to that?"

Snape shook his head as he came fully into the room and sat down across from Harry. He had some letters in his hand, and he was sorting through them as he said, "I didn't even know what ingredient you had snuck off to look for," he looked up at him then, "but I hope you know that you got off easy all things considered."

Harry sighed. "I know, Snape. You don't have to give me another lecture. You and Remus have both made it very clear: 'No messing with ingredients you don't know about.'" They were the words Snape and Remus had been drilling into him the last few days.

"Yes, well, I hope you don't forget it. How much do you have left to write?"

"Another half of a roll. Please, Snape, can't I go out for just a little while?"

"No, Harry," Snape replied, reading the letter he had just opened. "I let you put it off for as long as I'm willing to allow, but classes start back up next week, and you need to get it done."

"You're older than him, right?" Harry asked suddenly.

"I am, but only by two months, as he routinely tells me." Snape sighed as he folded the letter back up and placed it on the stack with the rest, his brow furrowing as he thought of what it had said.

"Well," Harry said, oblivious to his guardian's subtle change in mood as he pulled one foot up and under him, leaning on the table so that he could get a better look out the window. "Since you're older, couldn't you just overrule him on this? You know, tell him I've learned my lesson, and the essay isn't necessary."

Snape glared at him with a raised eyebrow before standing up. "Sure." He let Harry look up at him hopefully for a moment before he continued. "Of course, then I'd have to go with my original plan of grounding you for two weeks."

Harry groaned, "Snape—"

"No, Harry. Finish the essay. When you finish, if there's still enough light outside, you can go out then. Right now, I need to floo to Hogwarts for a few moments and speak to Dad. Do you want to come with me and work on it in our parlor for a while, or would you rather stay here?"

Harry glared at Snape before lowering his head to rest on his hand and grumbling, "I'll stay here."

Snape nodded. "Call for Jenka if you need anything, but I'll be back shortly." He started to walk out of the library, but he turned back to look at Harry. "And don't go outside and don't—"

"Open the door," Harry finished his sentence with a roll of his eyes. "I got it, Snape. I'm thirteen, not three. You don't have to treat me like a little kid."

"Lose the attitude, Harry," Snape admonished before turning back towards the door and walking out, leaving Harry sulking behind him with nothing to do but focus on his essay.

***

Severus stepped out of the floo and into Albus's office a few moments later. Albus didn't seem surprised to see his son in the slightest and simply offered him a piece of his current favorite candy, Licorice Leeches. Severus, of course, declined and took a seat in front of the large, ornate desk before passing him the letter he had just received.