Fifty-One

It was early afternoon on a Thursday when the doorbell rang. Linda sat aside the blue booties she was crocheting for Krist and Atira's baby and opened the door.

Brooke stood on the front stoop wearing a green floral patterned cotton empire waist dress and open-toe sandals, her hair neatly combed into a half ponytail.

"Hey," she smiled, "Can I come in for a moment?"

Surprised by the unannounced visit, Linda nodded and motioned for her to come in. "How have you been?" She asked politely.

"I am doing much better," she told her, "Things have finally been starting to fall into place without Brad."

"I'm glad to hear that, Brooke."

The two women sat on the living room sofa, a touch of awkwardness in the air.

"I am really proud of you for standing your ground," Linda told her, crossing her legs, "No mother hopes divorce on their children but in this case, you did the right thing."

Brooke gave her a small smile, "It was tough but enough was enough. Especially after that other woman was pregnant by him."

Linda's jaw fell open, "I'm sorry, what?"

"You didn't know?" Brooke asked, uncomfortably adjusting the hem of her dress.

"No," her eyes were wide, "I knew there was another woman and drugs...and what he'd done to you...but I had no clue about her being pregnant."

Brooke grimaced, "Yes, she came to our home to tell me that she was pregnant and he did not want anything to do with her after the fact."

Linda's heart sank, she hadn't raised either of her boys to be deadbeat fathers. "I had no idea, I am so, so sorry," she murmured, processing the information, "I can't even imagine, especially with all of your...struggles with fertility."

"That was ultimately the final straw for me and what had led to the whole...physical thing," she exhaled. Brooke twisted her wedding ring around her finger, she'd had a hard time taking it off still. "Listen, I needed to tell you something and Brad doesn't know. I'm pregnant."

Mouth agape, Linda wasn't sure how to reply to this news. She knew Brooke wanted more than anything to be a mother but she also wasn't sure if her pending divorce changed those feelings.

"I'm having a little girl, Eleanor," Brooke told her, touching her stomach lovingly, "I am due November 10th."

"Congratulations, honey," Linda smiled, "How is everything going?"

"Good! I haven't been sick or even tired at all. I will admit I was a little apprehensive about doing it alone but I wholeheartedly believe she was put in my life for a reason."

"I'm happy for you, if there is anything you need, don't hesitate to ask," Linda told her, "Did you plan on letting Brad know?"

Brooke sighed, "I know he has the right to know but with the way things have been going, I don't want him in the picture. I want Eleanor to know her extended family of course but if Brad is on...drugs, I'm not comfortable with him being around

Linda nodded, "That's understandable," She paused for a moment, "I'm not sure if he's told you much about his father but Marcus was, well, no, is, an alcoholic and an addict. My biggest regret was not leaving him sooner and exposing the kids to that.

"I look at both Krist and Brad and the things they've done, I hate that it's so similar. I left him when the kids were young, Brad was five or so. I did my best to raise them right but I can't help but feel that the damage had already been done.