𝟬𝟯𝟬

𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟯𝟬
𝘗𝘜𝘕𝘊𝘏

———

MAEVE, STILL GRAPPLING with disbelief over what she had just witnessed, felt an urgent need for solace. In the quiet of the nearly midnight hour, she found herself standing in front of a familiar door, arms folded tightly. The weight of what had transpired pressed on her, driving her to knock loudly to ensure she was heard.

After a moment, the door creaked open, revealing a sleepy Mason rubbing his eyes and yawning. "Maeve?" he asked, his voice heavy with sleep. Tears welled up in her eyes once again as she mumbled, "Can I come in?" The vulnerability in her voice mirrored the turmoil within, seeking refuge in the presence of someone she trusted.

Mason opened the door wider, concern etching his features as he saw Maeve visibly upset. Once inside his room, he flipped the lights on, casting a soft glow over the space. Maeve took a seat on his bed, her emotions unraveling as Mason, arms crossed, stood nearby, a worried gaze fixed on his distressed sister.

"What's going on? You're freaking me out, Maeve. What happened?" Mason's voice betrayed a hint of panic as he sought answers. The atmosphere in the room was charged with an anxious energy, and Maeve, still overcome with emotion, continued to cry. She struggled to find the words, her attempts to speak momentarily stifled by the weight of her feelings.

Mason continued to ramble, his mind racing to wild possibilities. "Are you pregnant? Is that why you're crying?" he blurted out, his concern taking a frantic turn. "Did that fool get you pregnant?" Maeve shook her head, her tears still streaming, and she responded, "No, that's not it. That would actually be easier to deal with then this."

Feeling a mix of confusion and deep concern for his sister, Mason implored, "Maeve, what happened then? Please tell me." He took a seat beside her, offering both physical and emotional support as he waited for her to share the burden that weighed so heavily on her shoulders.

Maeve, overcome with emotion, blurted out, "He cheated on me, Mason. With Rebecca." Mason's entire body tensed, his expression shifting from concern to outright anger. "Where is he?" he shouted, his tone laced with fury. Without waiting for an answer, her brother began rushing around the room, frantically searching for his shoes. "I'm going up to him. Who the fuck does he think he is?" Mason's voice, filled with a protective rage, echoed through the room as he grappled with the news.

Mason, fueled by an unwavering protectiveness for Maeve, was ready to storm up and confront the one who had hurt her. However, Maeve, knowing the gravity of the situation, couldn't let him go without revealing the whole truth. In a swift move, she grabbed his arm as he marched past and said, "Mason, sit down. I need to tell you everything."

Reluctantly, he took a seat, his eyes still burning with anger. Maeve, with a deep breath, began to explain the last three months to her brother. "He didn't really cheat because our relationship was never real to begin with. It still hurts though."

Mason looked at his sister in confusion, his demand for more information evident in his expression. "Maeve, you're going to have to give me a lot more information than that." Maeve, with a deep sigh, began to explain everything, perhaps going into a bit too much detail for her brother. She took him back to the beginning – the night in the club, the meeting with their managers, their first date, the night they spent together at her father's party.