𝟬𝟮𝟵

𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟮𝟵
𝘪𝘧 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘮𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘺 𝘮𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘥..

———

DAYS TURNED INTO a quiet dance of avoidance between Maeve and Phil as an expected silence pushed them further apart. Maeve, putting on a brave front, filled her days with busy routines, convincing herself and others that she didn't care about the silence that hung between them.

Amid laughter and casual conversations, she couldn't shake the subtle yearning for the familiarity of his presence, for the warmth that accompanied his smile. The lingering memories of their moments together haunted her every moment.

Phil, too, navigated the days with a deliberate avoidance. The once shared moments, now replaced by a void, became a reminder of the tangled mess they found themselves in. He threw himself into football, seeking solace in the company of his own thoughts. The absence of Maeve's lively banter and the challenge of her presence created a void that proved difficult to ignore.

In the heart of Doha, where the world celebrated football, Maeve and Phil circled each other in a delicate dance of separation. The external grandeur of the World Cup celebrations masked the internal tension, where unspoken desires for resolution mingled, yet that's what it remained as.

Today marked England's second game in the World Cup, a clash against the USA team. Maeve, accompanied by Leah, stood in the stands, their jerseys adorned with pride for their home country. Maeve, defiant in her choice, wore the jersey with Mount on the back. It was a deliberate decision – partly fueled by her desire and partly by the memory of how this very jersey had sparked the tangled situation with Phil.

In the stands, as the excitement of the England vs. USA World Cup match unfolded, Ronnie, Phil's young son, took his usual place beside Maeve. Lately, Ronnie had developed a fondness for Maeve, and today, he seemed particularly chatty. Grinning from ear to ear, he insisted on standing up to proudly showcase his brand-new kit. "Look, Maeve! It has my dad's name and number on the back. Isn't it cool?"

Maeve smiled down at the enthusiastic young boy. "Very cool, Ronnie. Maybe one day, you'll be down there playing for England." Ronnie's eyes sparkled with dreams of the future as he sat back up on his seat, sighing dramatically. "That would be so fun. I want to play with my dad and be just like him!"

Next to Ronnie, his mother, Rebecca, sat engrossed in her phone. The vibrant atmosphere of the match seemed to pass her by as she scrolled through messages or perhaps social media updates. Unaware of Ronnie's little display, she remained immersed in her digital world, while Maeve continued to engage with the spirited young boy.

After a few moments of companionable silence, Ronnie piped up again, his eyes filled with innocence. "You know, if you marry my dad, we can all wear Foden on our jerseys!" Maeve's eyes widened, and she exchanged a surprised glance with Leah, who nearly spat out her drink in response to Ronnie's unexpected suggestion. Of course, Ronnie remained completely unaware of the intricate dynamics and Maeve's complicated relationship with Phil.

Leah, trying to stifle her laughter, managed to compose herself enough to tease, "That would be so cute, wouldn't it Maeve?" Maeve chuckled nervously, not quite sure how to navigate the unexpected turn in the conversation. Ronnie, unfazed by the reactions around him, continued to share his innocent musings about a potential family united by matching jerseys.