𝟬𝟮𝟮

𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟮𝟮
𝘴𝘤𝘰𝘳𝘦 𝘢 𝘩𝘢𝘵𝘵𝘳𝘪𝘤𝘬

———

MAEVE WAS WOKEN up from her sleep by a phone repeatedly ringing. With one eye open, she saw the phone on the coffee table. The sun was filtering through the enormous room's blinds, making it easier to see.

The still-half-asleep girl stretched over to grab the phone, which was vibrating incessantly. Maeve answered the phone, holding the phone up to her ear, without checking the caller ID to see who was calling.

"Hello?" She spoke it more as a query, her voice raspy from just waking up, and she wanted to know who was contacting her in the early hours of the morning. For a few moments, the line was silent until an unfamiliar voice came through.

"Who is this?" a female voice demanded. Maeve would have laughed in response to that questioning if she hadn't just woken up and wanted to go back to sleep. "Maeve," she grumbled her eyes slowly shutting as she held the phone up.

"Oh, you're the new girlfriend," the still-unknown person replied dismissively. The brunette was perplexed and began to suspect that this was a prank call. She yanked the phone away from her ear, realising it wasn't her phone that had been ringing.

Maeve had picked up Phil's phone, and she was on the phone with Rebecca, Phil's ex-girlfriend and Ronnie's mother. Fully awake from the shock, she tossed her head back, looked up at the ceiling before resuming use of the phone.

"Who is this?" she asked back, still acting oblivious to who was on the other end of the call. The woman wasted no time in replying, "Rebecca." Maeve let out a dry laugh before responding with,

"Oh, you're the ex girlfriend."

Maeve had to check to see whether Rebecca had hung up when the line went silent. "Can you just tell Phil that I'll be around to pick Ronnie up at eleven." she finally said.

The brunette didn't have time to respond before the phone ended. She put the phone down and turned to face the sleeping guy beside her. She hadn't expected to fall asleep last night, nor did she expect Phil to lie alongside her.

She lifted her leg and kicked Phil in the side, expecting him to wake up. He didn't even move one inch. "Phil," she yelled out, nudging him again. The lad moved this time, but he remained fast asleep.

The girl scoffed at how heavy a sleeper he was and drew closer to him. "What?" he questioned, his morning voice raspy, after she grabbed his shoulder and gave it a long shake.

"Rebecca called, she's picking up Ronnie at eleven." Phil forced himself into a sitting position, "You were talking to her?" he questioned, rubbing his eyes in disbelief.  "Yeah, she was lovely," the brunette responded sarcastically. "Very pleasant."

"Sounds like Rebecca." he muttered bitterly, Maeve made no comment on what he said, and the room immediately grew silent, with neither of them saying anything to start talking. Small footsteps could be heard running down the stairs due to the silence.

Ronnie marched into the living room and stood in front of the two adults, looking at them puzzledly. "Did you two sleep here last night?" he questioned, crossing his arms and staring at them.