𝟬𝟭𝟯

𝗰𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝟯
𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘦𝘥 𝘥𝘢𝘵𝘦

———

SHE ARRIVED IN Manchester not long after she ended the phone call with Mason. Maeve had been here a few times before, and from what she recalls, it is always incredibly busy.

And today was no exception. She drove throughout the city, looking for the location where Phil wanted to meet. Everything appeared to look the same, and she was on the verge of turning around and leaving.

She eventually found the coffee shop and parked her car in record time. She just prayed Phil wasn't going to abandon her in the middle of Manchester like a fool. It was certainly something he was capable of.

She stood on the street, watching cars fly up and down the road, hoping for a chance to cross. As she waited, she observed the footballer on his phone outside the shop.

She was relieved she hadn't been stood up - that would have been really embarrassing for her. When the traffic stopped, she dashed across the street and approached Phil.

He looked up from his phone as she approached, sliding it back into his jean pocket. "It's about time, Maevey," he murmured, shaking his head.

Maeve rolled her eyes, "You made me drive all the way from London. You're lucky I'm even here."

The pair walked into what seemed to be a crowded coffee shop. People were working on laptops or catching up with friends at the tables. People milled about, waiting for their coffee, and there was a long queue to go in before ordering.

Maeve looked up at the menus on the wall to decide what she wanted to get as the two of them joined the end of the queue. They stood in an awkward silence, unsure of what to say or discuss.

When the two interacted, they usually argued, which is what put them into this mess. And it's absolutely not a smart idea to start bickering in the middle of this place. 

Maeve broke the silence that was becoming far too oppressive by asking Phil, "Did you win yesterday?" she looked over at him.

He said with arrogance laced in his tone, "We always win." Maeve scoffed at his response, "Did you score?" She inquired more, her brow furrowed at the footballer.

He didn't face Maeve as he answered flatly, "No." Maeve let out a dry laugh, "So, your team won without your help." he tried to interject but she continued speaking over him, "I thought you were better then that, Phillip."

They passed their time waiting for their drinks by taking photos with fans who were nearby. Maeve didn't mind because it kept her busy and stopped her from having to talk to Phil.

They got their coffee and quickly decided to take it to go. Phil insisted on finding a place that was calmer and away from any fans who might want to take photos.

When their drinks were ready, they dashed out the door and began exploring the streets of Manchester - or, more accurately, Phil directed them around the city because Maeve had no idea where she was going.

They walked side by side through Manchester's crowded streets, acting unaware to the cameras aimed at them from across the street every few minutes.

"How's Mason?" Phil finally inquired, breaking the extended stillness in which they were locked. Maeve frowned as she spoke bitterly, "I was supposed to be at his match today, but instead I'm here with you."