Short Story: A surprise gone wrong

"Hey Ayu, where should these boxes go?"

Kuina looked at me questioningly as I came through the front door. I smiled at her before placing the bag of breakfast rolls on a dresser that was already assembled in the hallway.

"Into the living room," I answered after reading the label stuck to the left side of the box, "Careful, you're carrying the expensive glasses!"

She just grinned at me before entering our new living space.

I watched her go before I sighted and looked at the chaos that lay before me. There was still so much to do...

It had been almost a week since Shuntaro, and I found out about our little miracle. We hadn't told anyone yet, not even Kuina and Hinata knew about it.

There was a special reason for this - we planned to announce it to them at our welcome party coming up in the next few days.

We moved into a new, larger apartment.

It was a beautiful area that Shu and I had chosen - the building had just been rebuilt since it had been affected by the disaster.

The move had already been decided before I became pregnant, which is why it now took on even more meaning.

The new apartment had several rooms - one of which would soon become the child's room - which of course my friends didn't know. They still assumed that the two empty rooms would become offices, one for me and one for Shu.

That's why I was even more looking forward to the moment when I could finally announce it to them.

"Hey Ayuna! The shelf in the bathroom is up!" Ann called from one of the rooms, I smiled slightly before moving in her direction.

It was still chaos, but it was slowly taking shape.

"That looks great!" I said to her when I reached the room in question, "Thank you very much!"

"Not for that," she answered, "What's next?" She looked around in an almost businesslike manner while I had to suppress a grin.

That's how I knew my friend - once she started something, she couldn't stop.

"The bed arrived yesterday afternoon," I said, "Maybe you could support Hinata, she's been struggling with it for almost an hour."

She gave a thumbs up before squeezing past me through the door and stalking off towards the bedroom.

I smiled after her before looking around the bathroom. The furniture was now in this room, so I could start unpacking the boxes.

There would be fewer boxes getting in the way - that prospect sounded tempting.

My phone vibrated and I pulled it out of my pocket. When I saw who the message came from, a smile crept onto my lips.

I can finish work early today - Saruka will take over a part of my shift.

Unfortunately, Shuntaro had to work - as was usual for a doctor. Still, he didn't like the idea of me having to do the move alone, but there was no other way.

He had duties to fulfill - and he knew it.

"Who put honey around your mouth?" a voice made me look at the doorstep. Niragi was standing in the hallway grinning and staring over at me.

I showed him the bird.

"Honey? That's the wrong saying, Suguru-kun," I replied, but the smile on my lips remained, "That's what they say when someone tries to ingratiate themselves with another person."