Chapter Forty-one

Orvar had asked me to stay with him, and my stomach had fluttered when he did

Orvar had asked me to stay with him, and my stomach had fluttered when he did. Just the thought alone made me so happy.

"Please, Gyda..." he'd said.

Hearing my name spilling from his lips still made me melt, just like it had the first time, all those months ago.

Gyda. My Gyda.

"Come live with me. Please." He'd looked at me, his eyes so hopeful yet hopeless.

My woman. My love.

Then and there, I knew I had to be with him, even if it meant I had to leave my family behind. I had always wanted to be with him, but now I understood I needed to be with him. I'd die without him. He was my family too. He and the baby. They were my future.

As I walked back to my house, making up my mind that I wanted to spend my future with Orvar, our baby kicked me. I took it as a sign. The little one agreed with me.

"I will figure it out..." I said, caressing my belly through the fabric of my dress while looking at the house in the distance. It was my house, but it didn't feel like my home anymore.

I did not want to hurt my mother and sisters. I didn't want to miss my nieces. The thought that I wouldn't see them grow up into beautiful women made me feel miserable. But I also knew they would have each other and that thought was comforting.

Plus, if any of them had a chance to pursue true happiness, I'd surely want them to take it. So maybe they would understand I had to do this? Maybe they could be happy for me. Eventually.

Sure, Gyda... Fat chance.

Of course, they wouldn't approve. They would feel betrayed by me. Embarrassed on my behalf. I would be a sinner in their eyes.

The last thing I wanted was to put shame on my family, and I figured the only way to go was to fully disappear. Maybe I should fake my own death? It was a drastic measure, but perhaps it could work?

Yes, it would work.

Elated by my new idea, I stepped inside the house, finding the little ones shouting and running around, giving me the opportunity to sneak up to my room and dump my bag in the bedroom before my mother or sisters could see it was dirtied with mud again.

Or so I thought...

"Gyda, how was your studying?" Fiona called out from the kitchen when I was halfway up the stairs. "And how are you feeling?"

"Good, and great."

"Have you seen Mother and Emmy? They're still not back."

I halted my steps. "No. Where did they go?"

"Don't know, but"—a high-pitched scream interrupted Fiona—"hush, Cici! Aunty Fiona is talking now!"

"She's just hungry," said Anandi, her voice also coming from the kitchen. "Come here, Cici. The stove is dangerous."