Twenty-six - For me

"Who are you making yourself so pretty for, commander?" Vildon asked as he stood behind me, watching how I'd finished another braid and now tied a leather band around the end

The tone in his voice pissed me off. "None of your business," I replied, using one of my pointy claws to section some hair, before I began to braid the other side of my head. "And if you speak in that tone to me again, I will punch your nose till it points in the other direction."

"My nose just healed, Orvar!"

"I know." I glared at him.

Perhaps I was just annoyed with myself, because Vildon just hit the nail on its head, didn't he? I'd washed my body more thoroughly today, I'd cleaned my pants. I had even spent extra time to pick and scrub my teeth for this woman.

"I was just asking a question," Vildon whined, rubbing his nose. It was still a bit bruised, his light green-gray skin decorated with a slight hint of yellow.

"No, you were asking a question in a mocking tone and I will not have a boy make fun of me," I replied. "When my father was still our commander, I wouldn't think of speaking to him like that. He would've cut my nose off instead of breaking it."

Vildon scratched the back of his head. "Jeez. I'm sorry."

"It's my fault for spoiling you."

A silence fell until Vildon spoke again. "Here," he said, stepping closer to hang something around my neck.

"Why did you give me your necklace?" I asked, looking down, seeing a strand of animal teeth, bones, and shiny gemstones hanging around my neck.

"Because it looks good on you."

I took it off. "It's yours. You don't have to suck up to me. Here."

Vildon shook his head and held his hands behind his back. "I can make another one. I enjoy making them. It is a gift. From one orc to his commander."

Vildon was a creative soul, skilled with his hands. I could never make a piece like this, something so well-made.

I huffed. "Fine."

"So you like it?" Vildon asked before giving me a wide grin. "You'll take it?"

"Yeah, yeah. Thanks, you brat."

"Now that was a touching moment," said Jarla, standing in my door opening.

"Come in. And you." I looked at Vildon next. "Leave us."

After Vildon left, I told Jarla that I was heading out for the day and that he would be the one in charge. I didn't foresee any problems for today, but just in case, I told him to blow the big horn if there was trouble. That thing was so loud that I would be able to hear it where I was planning on taking Gyda with me.

~

On my way out, I bumped into Ston and Betsy.

"When will you pop that bairn out?" I asked, eyeing Betsy's belly. The woman has been waddling around like a duck for days now. Wide-legged, her enormous belly to the front and hands in her back.