Twenty - Under his spell

I told my family everything about what had happened between Olivia and me

I told my family everything about what had happened between Olivia and me. Fiona was heartbroken by the news, while Anandi was hysterical, and Mom and Emmy were both furious. They reacted so loudly that they woke up a few of my nieces, and before I knew it, I had several little kids hanging around my neck. I hadn't even finished my dinner yet.

"They're finally asleep again," Fiona announced later as she and Anandi walked into the room.

"Good," my mother answered. "Sit down, then we can start." She had announced that she wanted to talk things through today because she would go on a trip tomorrow and would not return until the next day.

Sadly for me, there was only one thing I wanted to do right now and it wasn't taking part in a serious conversation about the council. I longed to go to my room, lie in bed, be by myself, close my eyes, and fantasize about being back with Orvar. I knew it was a little silly. I should be happy to spend time with my family again, but I just couldn't help myself.

Fiona sighed as she dropped into the chair next to me. She looked tired.

"I can't wait for this," she whispered while placing a hand on my belly and patting it a few times. She winked at me , and I couldn't help but smile when she did. I placed my hands on her hand, and we sat like that.

"As you all know, I have a meeting with the council tomorrow. Like every year, we shall come together after the breeding moon to discuss matters," Mom started. "I will also address everything that happened between you"—Mom looked at me—"and that little wench."

I immediately felt a little bad, afraid that something awful would happen to Olivia. She was stupid, yes, but also young. I didn't want her to get shunned or tortured or anything severe like that. Plus, Orvar had already dealt with her. She was as short-haired as I was, and everyone had witnessed her shame. I felt her punishment was already given. But it was out of my hands now.

"Is that really necessary?" I asked, quietly.

"Of course, Gyda!" Mom replied. "I trust the council to deal with that wicked, rotten, jealous girl. You know that they always know what is best for us. And they always take care of us."

"Y-yes, Mom," I answered.

The council consisted of a few dozen people. At the top stood the men. Then there were two handfuls of powerful women and some 'head mothers', a bunch from each town. Mother was one of those heads. Olivia's mother, Isolde, was another one, so tomorrow might turn out to be...interesting. I didn't know if Olivia had come clean to her mother about what had happened.

I guess what Orvar had done was in my best interest because, otherwise, the council and other women might have chosen Olivia's side over mine. At least now every woman knew it was her that had done me wrong and not the other way around. If it was her word against mine, I'd probably have lost, as she was perfect and I was often seen as an annoying, curious kind of girl—if I were to believe all my previous school teachers.