Chapter Thirty-six

It was late in the afternoon when I rushed back to town

It was late in the afternoon when I rushed back to town. My sudden crying outburst had taken up more time than it should've, and I needed to get back home before my family did.

I wasn't planning on letting myself get so emotional near Orvar, but I couldn't hold back the tears any longer. I suppose it was good to get all these emotions and frustrations out of my system. I'd been keeping them in for so long, and now, everything just came spilling out.

I'd told Orvar all about my worries and fears, and he had been so sweet with me. It was clear he wasn't used to consoling people, but he'd tried his best, holding me in his arms, comforting me with his warmth. He had no answers to give that could comfort me, but at least his words were honest.

Oh, if only there was a way for me to not have to say goodbye to any of my loved ones. A way to just be happy with Orvar, our child, and my family. I'd give so much for it.

I huffed and puffed as I ran through the streets of the quieter area in town, trying to avoid all the jolly festivities that took place in the town center. This route would take longer, but it felt safer, knowing I would come across fewer people. To be sure I was somewhat unrecognizable today, I wore my cloak. My face was partially concealed this way, hidden behind the big blue hood.

And if I still happened to run into my mother, one of my sisters, or nieces, and they recognized me, I would just tell them I felt better. That my stomach ache had ebbed away and that I wanted some fresh air. I was still debating the credibility of that lie, but I was sure I'd figure something out, as I had become quite the master at lying. It was something I wasn't proud of, but Amira applauded me for it.

I wondered if she was here too, but figured she wasn't because we hadn't talked about Harmony Day at all. It made me wonder if she was even allowed to participate. Were people from the swamp welcome during this festive day in town? A day that was supposed to be about love?

Probably not.

It was odd thinking how Harmony Day used to be the highlight of my year while now I couldn't care less about it. I'd even forgotten all about it! Strange how quickly things could change in just a matter of weeks—

"Good gods!" a deep voice shouted, snapping me out of my thoughts as I stepped on something hard. I tripped over it, barely able to hold my balance as my feet touched the ground again. "Watch where you're walking, will you?"

I turned around and met a pair of the brightest sea-blue eyes. They were narrowed into a glare as they looked into mine.

"I'm- I'm sorry," I mumbled, then frowned when it hit me who this person was.

It was a man—and a familiar one too. And I had just stepped on him! My foot had actually landed on one of his perfectly made leather sandals, dirtying his perfect foot with filthy brown mud. And I'd probably hurt him as well. Maybe even twisted his ankle.