Chapter Thirty-two

"Gyda, you're done

"Gyda, you're done. Here, let me help you get off the table." Beatrice offered me her hand.

"Oh, let me," Orvar said and he grabbed my waist, lifted me up, and put me on the ground.

"Thank you."

Orvar smiled a weak smile, but he seemed to be a little more relieved after Beatrice's words. The anxious frown above his eyebrows was still there, but it was less apparent. I knew Beatrice couldn't predict the future and tell me that everything was going to be alright with the baby, but her words still reassured me, and I think they did the same for him.

"Amira, it's your turn now." Beatrice patted the tabletop.

As Amira crawled on the dining table, Jarla returned. "The bitch is gone," he announced, slamming the door shut. "Sunken at the bottom of the swamp."

He strode inside and placed a golden ring on the kitchen counter as he kept his eyes on Amira. The orc didn't say or ask anything, but I could see the worried expression on his face and I somehow felt he wasn't only worried about his unborn child. He may not care for Amira the same way Orvar cares for me, but I'd learned through Orvar's tales that Jarla was a good and trustworthy type of man, so I can only imagine that it must've angered and concerned him to see the mother of his unborn baby in such a troubling situation.

"Thank you, Jarla," Beatrice answered. "Now, if both men would like to leave the room? I'm about to pull my daughter's dress up."

Orvar and Jarla left the room to wait outside, while I stayed behind, watching Beatrice examine Amira the same way as she had done me.

"Does this hurt?"

"No."

"This?"

"Nope."

"If I press here, does that hurt?"

"No. Ugh... d-don't push on my belly, Mom." Amira whined. "Nothing hurts, okay? The cunt didn't hit me or anything. I only fell to the ground. I... I feel fine. Well, not really fine, as I need to barf every bloody hour... but that's not because of her." She sat up straight and gagged once. "Oh, fuck. I- I think it's coming again." She gagged again and held her hand in front of her mouth, then rushed out of the house.

"Oh, my poor child." Beatrice looked concerned as she shook her head while watching Amira leave the room. "She cried last night, you know? Feeling guilty she wished she wouldn't be pregnant anymore."

"She did?" That made me feel so bad. I had no idea Amira felt that terrible.

Beatrice looked at me. "Yes. She feels awful. Sadly, not every pregnancy feels amazing." She sighed. "And then today had to come. Ugh. What have we done to piss the goddess off, hm? Oh well, I think I'm going to make some tea. Would you like some too?"

"Yes, please." I actually wanted to speak to Beatrice alone.

"Okay, I'll go boil water." Beatrice's eyes trailed lower. "And you might want to clean that up before your mother sees it..." she said, pointing at my arms.