1 ~ Nightshade

Nightshade

I peer over the map and then circle certain spots with pencil

I peer over the map and then circle certain spots with pencil. The ticking of the clock is driving me insane. I should get rid of it already. But I cannot. Not when time is of the utmost essence. 

"We need more warriors - basic guard-level training should be enough. Atleast seven of them. Otherwise there will be voids in the border patrol.", I say as I circle the rim of the glass on the table with the index finger of my free hand. 

"Will be tended to by the day, Alpha.", Vance says with a curt nod. 

"And I have acquired the location of the nearest suspected coven. It's on the mainland, coastal area.", Elliot, the assigned tracker for this mission of finding and uprooting witch covens, speaks quietly. He's damn good at his job, exceptionally so, with the way he has been quickly upgrading himself with the latest technology bits and implementing it all in our quest. But he's also clever enough to understand that I very well remember his little misconduct with Elle four years back; and despite all the punches I had thrown back then, I could still remorselessly throw a few more. 

"Which means we need to have a chat with the authorities."

"But what incentives can we offer?", it is Esmerauld who asks. I pick up the glass and after twirling the drink for a while, down it in one go. Every single person in my office winces, except myself, of course. Probably from the scent of the wolfsbane and the sight of me downing it in my regular whiskey. 

My voice is a little hoarse when I speak. "The authorities have to make quite the regular investments in Westborne Island. All the heavy maintenance in order to attract tourists, and then the woods that all sorts of shady contracts keep them from penetrating. The Uni that they barely earn good taxes from. The entire damn town that doesn't pay the day's time to them. You think they like doing this, when they barely get any control in return?"

It is Vance who speaks, "Are you suggesting we offer investing in the island maintenances in exchange of them turning a blind eye to us infiltrating a tiny coastal town?"

"I am suggesting that we we offer to take over the island maintenances in exchange of the barest minimum of tourism commissions and their silence in certain regards. Or else, we have our own methods - methods that they might not like too much."

Silence falls all around me as everyone takes in the idea. It's good but it will also remove our fake identity as regular citizens. It will be the beginning of a cold war between not only the authorities and us but will also be a solid divide between two species; even if they don't really realize it yet. 

"Sounds good to me.", my Beta breaks the silence and despite how composed his voice is I can hear the desperation that leaks through the cracks. He will agree with this idea for Elle. Good. It's easier to understand one another if we share desperation.