PROLOGUE

"Ashton!", the scrunch of dry leaves under her tiny feet reinforce the urgency in her voice

"Ashton!", the scrunch of dry leaves under her tiny feet reinforce the urgency in her voice. I stifle the laughter bubbling up my throat with a devious smirk on my lips. She's so adorable.

"Ashton! I'm starting to panic!"

Only she can say that out loud. I think that's one of those traits that make her her. She's always speaking out her thoughts aloud. Albeit she's just three. Still.

I do not move an inch at my hiding spot behind the thicket of bushes and take extra care to halt my breathing and stay perfectly still. I cannot afford to be found and then have to take a dip in the icy lake water, by the terms of my own challenge. That's why she's never allowed to hide. Firstly, I can't risk her safety that way. Secondly, she's definitely not following in my footsteps there too and deciding to take an icy dip.

That's when I hear her footsteps halt. She's enough distance away for any normal werewolf in my place to be unable to hear the hitch in her breathing. But I'm not a normal wolf. Neither is dad. Neither were any of his ancestors.

I had my first shift at five. Alphas usually shift at ten, Betas at twelve, rest at fourteen. I am even faster and stronger than an average eight-year-old Alpha pup. Dad says that when I'm as old as him, I'll be as amazing as him.

Maybe that's why our parents let me bring my three-year-old best friend out to play in the evening in the woods. We just need to stay within the pack-lands, and that is almost the whole of Westborne. So, no worries.

I leap out of my hiding spot and in a moment I have pushed her out of the way of the hissing white snake that had dared set eyes on what's mine. Though, mum says snakes are blind.

A fire rolls through my body, propelling me to get up and rip the ugly creature's head off of its slithering body and I would have done exactly that - my wolf has done that before - had she not tightened her grip on my arms. She often foresees my actions.

"We're safe, Ashton.", she whispers to me, her voice softer than the night breeze, her eyes holding my darkening, mismatched ones captive.

Lavender, so beautifully lavender. Glowing under the soft moonlight, just like her perfect rose-porcelain cheeks and silky volume of hair that is tied up in a little ponytail, accentuating the pretty shape of her face.

Golden, silver. Shining and blending so well that I can no longer distinguish the colours.

She looks so fragile, so perfect - all of my world wrapped into a tiny three-year-old girl - that there's only one word that can describe her.

"Elle.", I say her name like my throat is sandpaper and I am saying 'water'.

She smiles at me. Her eyes shine. Her cheek smooth under my touch. And I forget my earlier desire to see the snake's spilling blood draining its life away.

_________

Hey darlings,

So, how has it all been till here? Let me know in the comments. Also, next chapter will be up soon. I have it written, but I'll let it all seep in for a while. Then post the next. Meanwhile, enjoy.

~Love, love, love,
Bristi ❤️

__________

[DATE: 25/05/2023, WORDS: 573]