1 ~ Moonlight

Breathing, for me, has been difficult for a while now

Breathing, for me, has been difficult for a while now. It probably would've felt easier - better - if I didn't remember the breezy times when it was actually so much easier. But I do.

I remember every moment of freedom, and that's my doom. I know that I wasn't born in a cage. I know that I have known the sky. I know that I could once breathe freely. I know that I could once make fear fear me.

So now, when fear coils its ugly tendrils around my neck, constricts my breath and threatens to kill it in my lungs, I am afraid I am too weak to fight back. I try, oh I do try. But, I can't.

I can't. I no longer can. Because here as I feel my first shift coming up, the only wolf in the pack to shift for the first time at seventeen - who shifts as late as sixteen? Poor me - there is no one here to hold me. No one to comfort me. No one to even warm up the air with their presence as I start feel my bones fracturing and re-aligning.

It's excruciating. The pain of the first shift is like no other. Once a wolf has shifted, the next shifts are quick and easy. But this - the first shift - is a terrifyingly exhilarating milestone.

A milestone for which I have none to stand by me. It's terrifying to an extent that I can feel my nerves tearing up and hysteria creeping in.

I miss Ashton's gentle touches. I miss Rauld's affectionate teasing.

I miss being someone's little lavender. I miss being someone's pixie.

I miss dad and mum.

And I miss Alpha and Luna Knight.

I don't clearly remember the details of all that happened that fateful night - that night of the ball. But I do remember how much it took from me. How much it robbed us of.

I remember the flames consuming the Alpha and Luna's immobile forms like they were their last meals ever.

But maybe I remember all that because that was the last time I had ever been called little one, lavender or pixie.

The nicknames faded into the background of much like the emotions behind them. Much like myself.

I miss-

The crack in my spine makes me scream in pain. I had let the memories distract me. Again. Like I keep doing all the time. I zone out and then I leap into an endless sea of those memories.

They surely are great comforters, though.

So I let it all wrap around me like a blanket. It's not really warm, but I will myself to imagine that it is.

The pain certainly doesn't move an inch away from me, but it makes breathing through this slightly easier.

My spine breaks a few more times over. It's raw pain, but I believe that I can make it through this. Because I have to. Because I cannot just stop hoping. I cannot give up on my family. My life. My love...