ONE

"Mommy!" I sing, wandering my way into her office, where she is sat in the couch, probably journaling.

She ignores me, still going on, scribbling quickly on the page and I plop down next to her. She doesn't even mind.

"What time are we going to the Rossin's?" I ask her, placing my feet on the couch next to hers, tickling her with my toes a bit.

"When your father gets back," She responds, too engrossed in her journaling to even notice me playing with her toes.

I frown, "Ma, you know them white people eat early,"

She's like a robot, still spaces out into that damn book. She doesn't even mind me playing little piggy market.

"He'll be here soon, Pria," She says, still not noticing, "Go somewhere, girl,"

I sigh, leaning more on her before I start to open my mouth up and annoy her a little bit more.

"Ma," I start, whining a bit, "He is going to be like another hour,"

My mom doesn't look up from her book, but the way she grips her pen a bit more shows that she is starting to get annoyed with me.

"Pria," My mom says, her voice clearer, "Go somewhere,"

"But I'm hungry," I counter quickly, poking at her feet.

"Pria, leave me alone," She drags out.

"Mom,"

She finally snaps, putting her book down and giving me her full and undivided attention in the most sarcastic way, "What, girl? Damn,"

I smile cheekily, "Also can I invite Daniel to the dinner?"

"Yes, okay, I don't care," She spits out, going back to her old position, "And stop touching my fucking feet,"

"Thank you!" I sing, hopping up out of the couch with a ballerina twist.

I leave the room, skipping and singing, but making sure to softly close the door behind me. I smile up at Daniel, who was waiting patiently.

He immediately smiles back, his duffel bag still hanging on his shoulders.

"She's fine with it," I tell him, "You're lucky my mom was busy,"

I walk up closer to him, as his back is pressed up to the wall, he just stares down at me with his little smile.

That same smile that made me even consider him in the first place. We came from two different worlds but I did love us being together.

We met at school actually, my dad actually was the coach for my team. Naturally, Id be helping at every game and most practices.

Daniel was new to the school, from a different district, he got his ride at our prestigious school because of his athleticism.

He had literally no friends other than the two coaches and the water person. I was there to help, I got him into the community, the friend groups, and by his second month of school he was thriving.

And I was right there, on his arm.

He was a pretty boy, and a lot of people found him attractive. I was reminded everyday that I was lucky to have him.

He was something new to my life, not the normal assholes that I had found myself dealing with over and over again.

He really did like me.

"You told me to come over," He objects.

I roll my eyes, combining closer and he draws his arms around my back, pushing me even closer to him.