Chapter 11-Talking About The Hard Stuff

"So, let me get this straight. You don't hate your boss anymore, but you also still don't like him?" Ino asks while waiting for Sakura to come out of the dressing room. They're at one of Ino's sponsors' boutiques and trying on dresses for the upcoming ball.

Sakura opens the curtain and fans her red face while walking out and doing a spin for her friend to study the look, "Yes.....No? I don't know! I'm so confused." Today was day three of working at Sasuke's house, and things have only gotten more awkward between them. He stopped putting an edge on all of his statements for some reason, and it threw Sakura off guard, so she's been tense and hyper-aware of every word he says and everything he does.

"Sounds to me like you've got a little crush, Babe. Is it because he saved your life? I think I'd fall for a man if he did that for me, too." Ino shakes her head and shoos the pinkette back into the dressing room to try on the next dress, "I don't know why you're trying so hard not to like him! What did he do that was so bad?"

Sakura groans, pushing her hair out of her face before grabbing the next floor-length article and slipping it on, "He...! He's so stubborn and prideful! We fight all the time, and he's never once said the word "sorry" to me!" A memory of Sasuke's concerned, sharp gaze when he checked over her immediately after tackling her out of the way so that car wouldn't hit her crosses her mind. She closes her eyes. Her voice becomes softer, "But he's not a bad guy. He works so hard even when he doesn't feel well, and he cares for people in his own way."

Ino slowly opens the curtain with a knowing smile and twinkling blue eyes. She cups her best friend's cheeks and teases her quietly, "I know you're scared Sakura, but you can't let something that happened in high school control you for the rest of your life. Maybe it's time to give love another shot."

The pinkette shakes her head, wordlessly ending the conversation. She doesn't want to think about her boss anymore. He already plagues her mind all day.

Her best friend sighs defeatedly but smiles because she understands, "This is the one. You look amazing. It compliments your figure and skin tone. What do you think?"

It's a floor-length blood-red gown with a single black stripe running down one side. The neckline is a sweetheart one, and the skirt flows out from the hips with a tall slit up the thigh. It accentuated Sakura's tiny waist to make her humble curves more defined.

Sakura runs her fingers down the dress while blushing, "It's so pretty, but I can't-" "Ah, Ah! None of that! Consider this my thank you gift for landing me this awesome contract."

Later that night, the pinkette curls up in bed for her usual routine of messaging back and forth with S. She hesitates when there's a lull in the conversation but ultimately gives in and attempts to be honest with him, 'Is it okay if I vent?'

'Sure.'

Sakura types a message, deletes it, types it again, deletes it again, and then finally decides to send a text, 'Do you remember the other day when I mentioned my coworker? I know you said not to let things get personal, but I think it's already too late for that. I don't know what I should do or how I should act around them.'

S takes his time responding, and his advice is what she expects, 'Haruki, are they worth your career? Because if not....'

'...You're right.' Sakura asked him for advice because she needed someone to tell her to knock it off. She tries to casually laugh it off, 'It's not like they'd ever go for someone like me anyway, right? I'm lower on the corporate totem pole, and they come from a super rich family.'

'I didn't take you as the type to fall for someone who'd care about that kind of thing,' S surprises her.

She takes a moment to picture Sasuke's face. How would he react if she confessed to him? A sad ache meets her chest and she sighs. He'd undoubtedly turn her down and possibly even have her transferred to a different position or fired altogether. The only solace would be that he wouldn't reject her for her background but because it's her. Sasuke doesn't like her, much less in a romantic light. He sees her as a colleague. An underling and nothing more.