Prologue:

June 28, 2024

It was middle of summer. Heat radiated off everything.

He was uncomfortable, frustrated and as of two hours ago, unattached. His jaw still hurt from Jack as he sat at a booth, sipping black coffee from a white mug, while a plate of eggs, pancakes and bacon with potatoes half eaten in front of him. The floor was checkered black and white tiles. Under his elbows the table was hard, wooden grain.

The tired waitresses both eyed him from behind the counter as he took another bite. His hands dwarfed the fork and the mug and just about much of the plate.

To everyone, he is a stranger. The drifter who just wandered into town one day. They were right, he DID just wander into town this morning.

For the first time in six years, he was on a vacation and it was in Mississippi of all places. The mere thought of a vacation he loathed, taking another bite of pancake.

He actually missed New York.....despite the quick turn around.

Clayton heard the rusty door swing open and standing in front of him was none other than Claudia, his employer. The no-nonsense, former detective who picked him up straight after Clayton was discharged from the army.

She definitely wanted to fuck him.

"Clayton" she said with a bright smile.

All he noticed was the stack of papers under her arm. The white blouse she wore, clinging to her breasts.

"Claudia. What do I owe the pleasure?" he said back, trying not to look smug

She needed him his subconscious purred.

"Something landed on my desk this morning. An interesting one. Thought you might like to have a read about this girl?"

"A girl?" his ears pricked up.

"She's the youngest daughter of Mr Booth. The information on her is new. Not much to tell. I'm not even sure she knows that Richard is her father. The mom is terminal, weeks left."

"No fucking way," Clayton almost snatched the file out of Claudia's hand.

She beamed at him, quickly taking a bite of his bacon. Something he only allowed because she had paid him for a lot of money over the years to hunt people.

He opened it. A brown-haired beauty of a young woman stared back at him. Big, green sad eyes.

Something shifted inside of him.

"Alison Jade Clarke. Sixteen. She's smart, really smart. Bright future. I'm surprised the Air Force or even Homeland Security aren't interested in financing her. Anyways, all you need to know is in the folder. It's an intel only mission, watch and wait. No guns," Claudia said, gaining his attention.

"That's why you need me then?" he said sarcastically, rubbing his thumb over the picture.

"Richard has been spotted sniffing around her neighborhood. I think he knows Alison is going to be left alone soon with no family, not even the grandmother wants her. I'm assuming that he thinks he can raise her without anyone actually knowing who he is," Claudia said, pulling out a phone and keys.

"Recon. So watch the kid? Gather and wait to see if he turns up?" Clayton said, repeating her words.

"Correct. The flight to Boston is in two days. Keys for the Chevrolet Silverado that will be waiting for you when you get there. Red. Your requested color. Sam is not to drive. I mean it. Oh, and a phone - area code, five-zero-eight. It's time to join the world of technology Miller, even my nine year old has a phone." Claudia said, sternly as she handed the items over.

"I couldn't agree more." Clayton said, quickly, placing the keys and phone in his pocket.

This might be the most quiet Clayton has had in years....