"Wasn't it marvelous?" Christianna asked. "I have read it through twice now, and each time it kept me glued to the page. I could hardly put it down. Such a wonderful understanding of people!"

"A novel?" Miss Wells echoed, her tone bemused.

"Oh, you haven't read it?" Christianna asked, resisting the urge to pat the girl's hand in sympathy. "Well, I promise I won't spoil it for you. You simply must read it for yourself, Miss Wells."

The girl glanced between her and the vicar. "My parents do not believe in novels. Papa says they are a great waste of time," she declared.

"Oh, my poor dear," Christianna said, her tone commiserating. "It's unfortunate that some people hold onto outdated beliefs. You don't know what you are missing. I hope you get to enjoy a good novel someday."

The change in conversation seemed to have befuddled the girl. Miss Wells just stood there with her mouth agape for a few seconds before she quickly spun around and melted into the crowd. She didn't bid either of them good evening or farewell.

"Do forgive me," Christianna remarked as she faced the vicar again. "It's probably something I'll regret later."

"I think you managed that well enough, Miss Cooper," Mr. Gillham said with a smile. "Miss Wells and her sister are... How can I put this kindly? They are quite spoiled and have a tendency to say whatever they want without considering the consequences. There are very few who take them seriously."

"I'm afraid there are many young ladies who behave in much the same way. I daresay, I was just as thoughtless when I just left the schoolroom. Let us hope both young ladies learn in time how they ought to behave."

"I'm not as optimistic as you are," Mr. Gillham told her. "But let's not worry about her for now. Shall we go find your young man so you can get something to eat? After all that dancing, I'm sure you must be hungry."

"I am famished, but I didn't want to interrupt his conversation," Cristiana admitted, resigning herself to the fact that everyone had settled on referring to Sir Percival as her young man. No amount of protesting had put an end to it at all.

"Is he still speaking to Mrs. Brooks then?" the vicar asked, his eyebrows going up. "They have been conversing for almost an hour. I can't help but wonder what they are discussing so intently."

Christiana took a light sip of her punch, savoring the flavor of the spices. She would have to be careful to avoid drinking too much of the strong drink. The last thing she wanted was to make a cake of herself in front of this group of strangers.

"Ah, here he comes now," Mr. Gillham said, getting her attention.

As Sir Percival approached, Christiana thought that his expression was one of distraction. Despite this, he managed to force a smile when he reached them. "Have you enjoyed your dances?" he asked.

"Yes, very much so," Christianna responded with an answering smile. "I'm only sorry it kept me from you for so long. We will have to have another dance after we have eaten. Did you enjoy your conversation with Mrs. Brooks?"

His eyes widened in surprise. "Have you met her already?"

"No, I haven't had the chance to meet her yet," Christianna said, glancing over her shoulder but she couldn't see the elderly woman. "But I am glad to see you find someone to speak to. Mr. Gillham mentioned that you've been conversing with her for quite some time now."

That strange expression appeared once again. He leaned his head down towards her. "I'll tell you about it later," he said in a low voice. His gaze flicked around. "I don't want anyone to hear about it."