Behind the Mask

Merry Christmas!!

   This void. This darkness that I'm floating. This emptiness. The cold. The numbness. This emptiness in my chest. How did I end up here? I don't know. Maybe death is this. Nothing beyond life. Death, the only equal fate to all living things. At least I don't have to face God or Lucifer, those two guys must hate me more than they hate one another.
   I feel a buzz on my head, it's annoying, but great at the same time, at least I can feel something. I can feel something soft but plastic onto my body, it's kinda warm. I like it. I start hearing a beap soud, it has some rhythm like a symphony. I slowly open my eyes, the cold bright light burns my weak eyes. It's like I've woke up after sleeping thousands of years, my articulations are kinda craky like an old statue.
   - Oh, you finally came to your senses..! - I hear a voice.
   - Hum..? - I look around a bit. Seems like I'm in a hospital room.
   I slowly sit on the bed. I see a doctor standing next to me. I ask weakly:
   - What happened..?
   - Yesterday, a guy brought you here with internal bleeding and blood lost - the doctor responds - but thankfully, we could save you and you are recovering so quickly. Maybe you can leave the hospital in a few days..!
   - I see... - I mumble. How I hate this curse...
   - What's your name? - they questions.
   - Selene Dubois... - I replie.
   - Miss Dubois, how old are you? When and where were you born? - they asks.
   - 27 and I was born in August 13th of 2072 in Die, France... - I lie.
   - What are you feeling right now..? - the profesional asks as they taps on some sort of spectrum-mirror.
   - I'm hungry... - I respond.
   - Oh, we'll take care of this..! I hope you're feeling better - they says with a smile while walking towards the door.
   - Can you... low the lights a bit..? - I ask.
   - Sure..! - they responds as they tap on some sort of spactrum-portrait on the wall near the door and the room darks a bit. It's way more comfortable.
   - Thanks... - I say.
   - No problem - the doctor reponds as they walk out the room, the door opens and closes by itself, and there is no door handle or lock. This is crazy. But what a nice doctor.
   I look down to my hands. How did I end up here..? Well, I accidentally bumped to a guy in an alley, and the thread got tangled in his pants chains and snapped. And, like always, I lost control and don't remember the rest... I hope I didn't do anything bad to him, I wasn't angry towards him, so I might not have hurted him that much... But I feel bad anyway... This heavy feeling on my chest that is almost suffocating... I'm not a bad person, am I..?
   Oh, my solitue...
   Than a nurse comes in with one of those carts that people bring food. He says:
   - Well, Miss Dubois, I've got you your breakfast..!.
   - What time is it? - I ask. At least my food came.
   - It's ten in the morning - he responds as he looks at his bracelet thing and puts my food on some sort of small table on my lap - I hope you enjoy..!
   - Thanks... - I say as I look at my food: Toasts with coffee.
   I try to take a bite of the toast but it's so hard as stone, I can't eat this without breaking a teeth plus it tastes like sand! I put it back on the plate and take a sip of the coffee: It's horrible, it tastes like ass, not like coffee! Plus it's too sweet to be coffee. Brazilian coffee is way better than this flavored water! Hospital's food tastes horrible, I would rather don't eat at all. I try not to throw it up.
   - What's wrong? - the nurse asks as he fixing some things on the equipment (I think).
   - Don't you guys have something more... eatable? - I question.
   - Oh... I'm sorry, but it's the only thing available for you to eat - he replies.
   Shit. No way I'm eating this crap! Plus, I'm craving for blood... This place must has a blood bank somewhere... But, as far as I remember, only doctors can enter there with a credential or something... I have an idea...
   I look at the nurse form the bottom to the top, I see there's a card hanged on his coat's pocket, he seems to focus on the things... Let's distract him a bit more...
   - Where are my things..? - I ask.
   - On that white closet in front of you - he responds.
   - Can I wear them now? - I question as I move my hand closer to his card - I don't really like these hospital clothing, it makes me fell uncomfortable.
   - No - he replies as I pull his card out quickly and sneakily and put it under the blanket - only when you recover completely and leave the hospital.
   - Ok... - I mumble as he leaves the room right after.
   I take a look at the card a bit it has a bunch of information about that nurse, I hope he doesn't notice that his card is gone.
   I stretch a bit and get out of the bed, my legs are kinda limp like I haven't walked for ages, the floor is cold as ice, it's almost necrotizing my feet..!
   I run to the small white squared closet on the front of my bed, open it and see my clothes folded and tidy. I grab the clothes that I use on the lower part of the body and run to the bathroom to change them.
   As I finish, I quickly walk out the room, I hope no one notice and the lights are hurting my eyes. I look around a bit and there is an elevator in the end of the hall and walk towards its direction. I press the button and after a while, the door opens and there's someone in the elevator.
It's a guy a bit smaller than me with sun-kissed skin, dark hair and sunglasses. I enter the elevator and stay standing still, the silence is really awkward.
   I analyze the guy with the corners of my eyes: His clothes have quite no personality, just a light formal shirt with his sleeves folded at his elbow, social shoes and jeans, but his face structure is so pretty... The prominent cheekbones, the juicy lips and the messy back hair while the front is pretty tiny are really a charm, even the stubble makes him prettier... He's also quite muscular, so pretty... I would ask him out if I wasn't in this situation. I read his thoughts:
   - Calm down, Miguel, you can deal with this later...
   Ok... The elevator's door opens and the guy walks out, I go right after. Now, where is the blood bank..? I look aroud a bit and see someone walking out a glass door with a blood bag hanged on a metal hanger.
   I go closer to that door and it opens by itself, reveling a hall with a bunch of doors with signs, I walk and read them until I find the sing written " Blood Bank " on the end of this place. I thought this part of the hospital would be way bigger. But anyway, I walk towards that door, there is a small spectrum portrait on it with a bunch of information, but no lock or door handle. Maybe this card... I press the card onto the spectrum a few times until the door open by itself, reveling the room full of glass fridges with a lot of blood bags on the inside. This is paradise... I enter the room and open one of the fridges and get a blood bag, it's O+ type (my favorite).
   I open a hole the bag using the knife-nails and start sucking the blood from the hole. Its metallic flavor is so good, almost reliefing to drink. It's like I've been in the desert for days and finally have some water... But this blood has something different, some sort of plastic-like flavor, I think they put something so it wouldn't do the coagulation too soon.
   As I finish drinking all the blood, I feel full. I'm satisfied by now, but I'll have to pee soon... Let's see of I don't pass out after I teleport...
   I go teleporting back to the room I was before, quikly and trying not to get caught, and when I arrive there, there's someone siting on the chair by a table near the window... Is that guy form the elevator... What the fuck is he doing here?!
   - Well, well, well - the guy says smugly as he gets up the chair and comes closer to me - seems like someone is full recovered...
   - Who are you and what are you doing here? - I ask a bit angry, I can't take those little games right now.
   - I should ask that, Bloody Mary... - he says with a smirk
   - What?! How do you know? - I gasp angrily.
   - You don't really recognize me, don't you? - he responds still smug - I know I'm very different without the mask...
   - Wait, what? - I wide my eyes, let's think a bit: Spidey's real name is Miguel, this guy's name is Miguel and they both know my persona... - Spider-Man..?
   - Touché - he mumbles - also know as Miguel O’Hara... And you, bloody lady?
   - Selene Dubois... - I answer - what would bring you here, O'Har-
   - Please don't call me by my last name - he interrupts a bit angry - anyway, I was the one that saved that guy and brought you here, don't you remember..?
   - No - I answer a bit tense - I feel bad for that guy... Did I hurt him that bad..?
   - Just a nosebleed - he replies.
   - Oh, great... - I sigh reliefed - and thank you for... helping me...
   - You're welcome... - he whispers - sit down, I want to know some things...
   - Oh... - I mumble - that thing again..? - he nods in response. Fuck.
   We both sit down by the table, he grabbed my coffee that tastes horribly and drinks it (how could he?!). He starts:
   - What are your habilites? And what's up with that cross? - he points to the cross on my neck.
   - Well, my powers are more like a curse, - I explain - though I'm able to use it in my favor, basically turning blood into things and manipulating it, kinda. And I still have to wear this cross in order to... not lose control of the curse... It has horrible consequences... Worst then what happened to that guy...
   - I see... - he mumbles - when were you cursed?
   - It's hereditary... - I replie.
   - And how do you do the teleportation and the mirror thing? - he asks.
   - The cross has some magical properties that give me these habilites and keep my curse under control - I answer holding the cross.
   - Does the shape has something to do with..? - he questions and points to the cross.
   - No - I respond - my mother was a very religious woman, and she would like her daughter to be blessed and asked for the amulet in this shape... But still, I don't believe in the Christian God... In all the gods actually...
   - I understand... - he says holding his chin - and what are your motivations..?
   - Protect and fight for the innocents and oppressed while no one does it or care about them, like Maria did... - I answer a bit brighter than before.
   - Who is... Maria..? - he questions.
   - Maria Felipa de Oliveira, one old friend of mine and one of my biggest inspirations - I say with a smile - she would be proud...
   He doesn't say anything, he's just looking at his cup. I comment sassily:
   - Any more questions?
   - No - he whispers - that's enough...
   - Great... - I mumble.
   I get up and go to that closet, and find my sketchbook and my mp3 player with my headphones. I put the headphones on and a song to play as I sit back down with my legs against my body and start doodling. I'll try doodle this guy...
   Why are the most handsome guys the most annoying ones?! Now that I've learned who he is, I wouldn't like to ask him out anymore. This little piece of shit... Why is he Spider-Man in first place? Spider-Man was supposed to be nice.
   - Look what we have here - Miguel says smugly as he grabs my sketchbook and looks at it - this's a pretty good one...
   - Hey! - I shout, grabbing it back - who gave you the permission..?
   His eyes wide a bit, he just let the book go and looks away. Did I do something wrong..? I don't know...
   Now I'm feeling kinda bad... Did I hurt his feelings..? I don't like him very much, but I'm not that type of monster...
   Now I can feel the pee kicking in, I run to the bathroom, lock the door and do my basic necessities. Maybe I can give him something to make him feel better... I do a small doodle of him on the corner of the page and ripe off the area of the doodle out. I wash my hands and walk out of the bathroom, going to his direction. I put the piece of paper on the table in front of him and mumble:
   - For you...
   He looks at it for a bit and mumbles back:
   - Thanks...
   - You're welcome... - I reply.
   He puts the paper on his pocket, gets up and walks towards the door. I ask:
   - Leaving already..?
   - I'm a busy man - he responds roughly and walks out the room.
   Now I'm back to my solitue. Miguel is so complicated... Like everything in this city... I think he didn't like the drawing very much... I feel kinda bad... Don't be so sad, Selene, think of something different...
   I noticed, O'Hara is that one Xina's friend's last name, and it's also Miguel's, are they related or is just a coincidence..? I don't know...
   I think I'll have to see Miguel more often, damn... He doesn't seem to like me very much, specially now... I don't like him and have this height on my back... It's complicated... Feelings are complicated...