Children of The Night

I look up the moon, shining high in the starless sky like a lantern in the darkness, I sigh...
   - At least I have a cake and a pet, but nowhere to stay... I hope I find one.
   I continue walking with Meowy following me, I can excuse the rain pouring on my face. A little bit of rain won't kill me. When I feel that my legs are starting to get tired, I shore up on a wall and open the packed cake, giving the strawberries to Meowy, and it eats the fruits happily... It doesn't seem to get this type of treatment very often... Just like me ...
   I eat the cake... It's delicious! Kwan was totally right about it. The cake melts in my mouth like hot chocolate in the filling of a croissant, even though it is cold... I haven't felt that in a while...
   I finish eating the cake and put the recipient on my pocket (to throw it on the trash later), then pet Meowy's head a little. It enjoys it... Then the rain starts to get heavier, so I bite my thumb until it bleeds... It hurts at the beginning, but the pain fades after a while, and the drops start to flow out the bite mark. I metalize an umbrella, and the blood starts to get into the shape of one as it runs through my hand and falls off it... After a few seconds, this umbrella-shaped blood turns into a black umbrella.
   I open the umbrella over my head, protecting myself from the rain, I get Meowy on my arms and walk away with no course, no place to stay... nowhere...
   Every universe is the same old story, sleeping in abandoned and dirty places and doing something degrading in order to survive...
   After walking a while, a store caught my attention: It's a guitar store, the name written in red neon with details in black and red around on the front: " Hell's Bells "... That's a pretty badass name...
   I look at my reflection at the black and red showcase: I look dead... My red bangs are kinda messy and greasy, just like my two big locks on the sides of my face... My skin is really pale, but not like usually is, but more like a corpse... My big red eyes look tiered with no sparkle of life inside of it... almost like dead fish eyes... My clothes are a little dirty, especially my white formal shirt, it has some stains on it, my tie is messed up and baggy... I look like I just wake up from the dead and walk out of my coffin!
   I look at the things on the showcase because they seem more interesting than my corpse appearance. It's a bunch of cool guitars. The designs are pretty creative, and the red light gives it a little hellish energy... I like that vibe.
   I admire the front of the store a little. Those guys really got the vibe right... that hellish vibe... After some time, I walk away the showcase and see some kind of red shinny spectrum on a wall, fixed like a portrait, and it has something written:

" Cashier needed:
- working hours from Monday to Friday from 6 pm to midnight;
- have experience with sales and guitars in general;
- salary of US$ 12.00 per hour;
- Contact the grumpy woman in red inside to make the requirement :))

HELL'S BELLS GUITAR STORE "

   - Well, I think I can make some money and don't be hungry for a while... - I mumble, looking at the announcement with some hope... I may not have somewhere to stay, but at least I can make some money.
   I see a black metal door near the announcement with a board written " Open " hanged by a wire on a bull skull on the door, I push the door and enter the store and close my umbrella. The lights are all red, the shadows are all black, the quirky guitars, the smell, and the low background music give the interior a hellish vibe... I love this vibe. It's like if Ghost or Ozzy were an aesthetic...
   I look around a little and see behind the cashier desk a short woman with wavy dark hair, pale skin, and scarlet lipstick that matches her scarlet lace dress. Her eyes are dark, a little redish, and stare at me like I was someone unwelcome...
   - Hey... - I come closer to the cashier desk - I'm here to apply for the cashier job...
   - What's your name? - she asks with a husky and serious voice, she has a bit of a Spanish accent... I think she doesn't like my first impression, but I can understand, I look like a corpse..!
   - Selene Dubois... - I respond, her eyes pierce me, which makes me feel a little uncomfortable...
   - Selene... - she mumbles, then she turns around and opens a big black metal door behind the cashier desk - follow me...
   I follow her, passing through the door and closing it as I enter. I only see a long black metal spiral staircase that goes upward and downward. I go downwards, still following the woman like a shadow, until we end up what seems like a living room under the ground with redish walls and floor. I look over the light couch and see someone lying on it, I can't really see their face, but they seems to have long black hair.
   - Gus..! - the woman in red calls - you have someone interested in your job offer.
   - Give them a chair... - the person on the couch says with a spanish accent, pointing to a table with some chair on the other side of the room - por favor, Carmilla, you know I can't beryl move..!
   Carmilla sigh annoyed, get a chair and put it in front of a small coffee table in front of the sofa, I to to the chair and sit on it, putting the umbrella on my side and Meowy on my lap while caressing its back. The person lying on the sofa is a man with long black hair, redish-dark eyes, pale skin, he has some kind of bandages around his chest that look like some sort of sports bra and the rest of his body is coverd with a thin blanket. He looks at me smiling and says:
   - So, you're interested in the job... My name is Gustavo del Rei, but you can call me Gus - he weakly extends his hand to me to shake, I bow closer and shake it - and you are..?
   - Selene Dubois, but only call me Selene - I respond, letting go his hand and coming back to my place.
   - So, Selene... - Gus starts - do you have any experience with sales?
   - Yeah, I've worked in many stores as a saleswoman and cashier throughout my lifetime... - I respond.
   - Nice... - he smiles slyly - do you play guitar or any other instrument or have the basic knowledge of those things?
   - I play the guitar, organ and sing as well - I respond more optimistic - One friend of mine teached me about guitars and how to play... Hobie Brown... I miss that guy...
   - Cool..! - he says smiling... he has big and pointed fangs... Like mine... - is that cat yours?
   - Yes..! - I respond looking at the cat on my lap - its name is Meowy, I have brought it here because I can't let it alone...
   - Entendo... - he smiles at the cat - Tell me more about you, Selene, how old are you?
   - I'm... 27..! - I lie, but considering my looks now, if I told my real age would be much more convincing!
   - I see... - he giggles - wanna some cranberry juice? - he offers, pointing to a jar with a dark red liquid and a cup near it on the coffee table. I put some juice in the cup, and I get the glass near my nose to check the smell... It has the sweet fragrance of cranberry but with something more metallic... like blood...
   I drink it. It's really chicken blood with cranberry juice... Is this guy a vampire..? Just like... me..?
   - Yes, querida, I'm a vampire like you... - Gus give me a smile - and I'm really willing to contract you, many of our costumers are vampires or half vampires as well, and since you're one, it would be much more efficient..!
   - Really? - I smile with relief, sometimes I forget that we can read other people's thoughts - Well, I'm happy that there is a vampire community in this city!
   - You haven't been to Nueva York before, right? - he asks, and I nod in response - actually, where do you come from?
   - France - I respond.
   - France, hum..? - he looks at me - and why do you want this job for? - oh shit...
   - Can I.. be honest with you..? - I look into his eyes.
   - Of course..! - he says.
   - To make some money in order to not stay hungry while I stay here... - I answer, looking down - which won't be for too long...
   - Oh... - he says with pity - do you have... a place to stay..?
   - Not really... - my voice cracks a little - I'm a wanderer...
   - Pobrecita... - he looks at me pity on his eyes - well, I'll talk with the other residents and see what can I do for you... - he smiles, and it gives me some comfort... One thing I like about the vampire community is the support to others... This world can be cruel to us...
   - Can you... go upstairs for a bit..? - Gus asks - it's important...
   - Oh, ok... - I get the umbrella and Meowy and go walking back to the store upstairs.
I sit on a red leather stool, I sigh... I may fucked up everything again... I always do this...
   - Hey... - I hear a child shy voice, I look forward and see a small girl with dark skin, curly black hair tied in two buns on the top of her head. Her eyes are dark and redish, very vivid, her smile is shy yet sweet...
   - Yes..? - I ask sweetly.
   - Can I... pet your cat? - she asks shyly... she's adorable.
   - Sure..! - I say, holding Meowy closer to her, she pets its head and smiles happily - this is Meowy, and you're..?
   - Esther..! - her smile grows wider as she caresses the cat's head - What's your name? - she looks into my eyes.
   - Selene... - I respond.
   - That's a beautiful name! - she says happily.
   - Yours is beautiful as well - I smile.
   - I wish my mom would let me have a cat - she looks back at Meowy - I would love to have someone to play with...
   - Really..? - I ask, raising an eyebrow.
   - Yes - she answers kinda sad - my moms are always busy, and Tio Gus can't always play with me...
   - Is Gus your relative or something..? - I ask.
   - He's my uncle - she gives me a big smile - the coolest uncle in the whole world!
   - I see...- I giggle. This girl is adorable... I wish I was a child again... - wanna hold it..?
   - Sure! - she smiles widely, she gets the car out of my hands and holds it like it was a heavy baby, her little arms warp around the cat and she slyly caresses the cat's ribs with her little hands... It's adorable...
   The cat purrs in Esther's arms, she smiles and I smile at well. Then I hear the black metal door opening, Carmilla comes out of it and looks at Esther, then at Meowy and then at me and says:
   - Esther, mi hija, come here... - the little girl comes near her with the cat in the arms, but she let's it go, Meowy comes back to me and than the woman in red looks at me - let's go, Selene...
   I nod, get the umbrella and Meowy, and go back downstairs. As I arrive on the living room, I see Gus sitting next to another woman: Her skin is really dark, she wears some sort of red long skirt with 2 layers: one has white and black stripes and the other is red with some sort of flower pattern in white. She has a dark shirt with some sort of necklace with big white orbs, her hair is coverd with some sort of turban: It's longer on the back like a tissue ponytail and its holded by a tissue tiara with one of that big white orbs on the middle. She has some spiral earrings as well. Her eyes are black and a little redish and stare at the depths of my soul... It's kinda intimidating.
   - Well, it seems that you have already met Esther... - Gus comments with a smirk, Esther comes closer to him, sitting between him and the woman, swinging her little legs.
   - So, you're Selene... - the woman says - I'm Asiman...
   - Nice to meet ya - I say a bit intimidated, she stops staring at the depths of my soul which is reliefing.
   - Sooo... - Gus says trying to break the ice a little - I think everybody knows each other's names, so let's discuss the things...
   - Which things..? - I ask.
   - Well... - Carmilla comes to behind the sofa looking at me - Gus told us about your situation and he thought it would be a good idea to not only give you the job, but let you live and work here, but me and Asiman think this is crazy... Letting a total stranger live in our house...
   - I can understand your point... - I say and the look to Gus - you really willing to do this for me..?
   - Of course! - the man says - We're vampires. We are supposed to help each other because no one else will... - he looks at the two woman - remember when we arrived here in the 70's and we didn't have a place to stay? I'm disposed to give someone what we haven't had for them not to suffer what we did! Right?
   - I think you're just being irresponsible - the Asiman opposed - you know what's been happening in the city? Villains, criminals, the worst type of people! Do you really want to take this enormous risk? Putting my family in risk?
   - I mean, you're not wrong actually - I interfere - but I can guarantee you that I'm not a criminal, I want to apply for this job just not to have to steal to survive..! Plus, I won't stay here for too long... It's fine if you don't let me stay here, I understand... - I look away a little bit, and the conditions aren't favorable for me... I'll try to get out of here as quickly as possible if it doesn't work out well...
   - Listen here you two, - Gus says, looking at the two women - we have an empty apartment upstairs that's full of dust with no one living there and... - he looks at me - querida, are you half vampire or..?
   - Half vampire... - I respond.
   - Even better! - he claims, looking back to the woman - she can live there and, if she can, help with the housework and other layoffs..! You both know well we can't live there because of the sun...
   - Let's see... - the woman in red looks at me - can you cook, clean, and do other housework?
   - Yes... - I respond - If I earn enough money, I can pay for the layoffs of the things I consumed..!
   - Can the cat stay, mom? - Esther asks.
   - If Selene takes care of it and it doesn't do much mess, for me is ok - Asiman answers - unless it has leptospirosis..!
   - I think Meowy doesn't have it - I respond - but we can check in a vet.
   - Good... - Asiman comments - let's do this the right way: who votes for not letting the girl live here? - Asiman and Carmilla raise their hands... They definitely don't like me here - and who votes for letting her live here? - Gus and Esther raise their hands... This is getting kinda disappointing...
   - Why don't we let the cat give the final decision? - Gus suggests.
   - What the heck is your problem, Gus?! - Carmilla shouts pissed off with the decision.
   - Calm down - he says, trying to not make things worse - I won't do this, I'm not that crazy! But we have to decide rather the girl stays or not.
   - Why don't you roll a d20..? - I mumble playfully to myself.
   - Great idea! - Gus says - Esther, get that little box that Raven gave me!
   - You can't be serious, Gus - Asiman mumbles, he smirks in response.
   The girl gets out of the sofa, goes to a room on this floor, after a while comes back with a small metallic box and give it to Gus. He opens it, get a metallic d20 and say:
   - If it's more than 10, the girl stays.
   He rolls the dice on the table, after some time rolling, it shows the number 13 on the top. Gus gives a smirk.
   - So, will you let me stay here..? - I ask hopefully.
   - Of course, querida... - Gus says, smiling. I feel so happy... I finally have a roof over my head... It's so reliefing... These people are being so kind to me (even though the two woman don't me here apparently). It's been a while since the last charity I received from someone...
   I feel sweet tears of joy run out of my eyes and thought my cheeks, I try to wipe them away, but more of them come like a waterfall, like every tear is a waterfall...
   - Why are you crying? - the kid asks, coming closer to me.
   - I-I'm just... - I try to wipe the tears to talk to Esther properly, but I can't help it - I-I'm so h-happy right now... T-Thank you all for your generosity... - I'm almost sobbing at this point.
   - Do you want a hug..? - the little girl offers opening her arms for a hug.
   - S-sure - I say hugging her, she hugs me back - I-I'm so grateful for t-this... - my voice is cracking a bit, and I can't stop crying... I haven't felt that happy in a while...
   - Now - Gus interrupts - can you three show Selene her new home? I can't because... - he points to the straps on his chest.
   - Ok... - Carmilla says sighing - let's go, mi amor... - she looks at Asiman and they both get out of the couch, going towards that black metal door - come on, Selene...
I get up and follow them while wiping away the tears, Esther follow us as well. We get upstairs until the third floor and enter though another black metal door into an apartment.
   It's dark, dusty and has some furniture coverd with white sheets, looking like ghosts. The walls are light and the floor is some sort of dark wood, which gives the ambient a bit of contrast.
   - You'll stay here - Asiman says - it just need a little cleaning but you have the basic - she goes to a dark wooden door on the other side of the room, near the window, and opens it - this is your room, it's dark enough for you to sleep.
   I go towards the room and enter it, it's darker than the rest of the apartment and has some other furniture coverd with white sheets and something that looks like a stone coffin.
   - Don't you guys have a bed..? - I ask, looking at the coffin... I don't like coffins. They are kinda claustrophobic, plus aren't that comfortable...
   - No, you just need a mattress to put inside of it that is almost like a bed - the woman says looking at it - and we won't close it while you sleep - she chuckles a bit - do you have any luggage..?
   - Not really... - I respond - just some small items, and the only clothes I have are the ones I'm wearing right now...
   - Oh... I think we have some of Gus' old clothes in this wardrobe that you can use - she goes to one of the coverd furniture and takes the sheets of, making the dust rise and fly into the air, I covee my nose in order to not sneeze with the dust. Then, Asiman opens the door, and there are a bunch of black clothes, specifically goth ones, and some cool boots, high heels, and platform heels... Gus had a good taste for clothing...
   - I hope you like the apartment at least - Carmilla says entering the room - it's not much, but it's the best we have.
   - You two have no idea how much I appreciate your generosity - I say, smiling at them - I know you may not like me that much, but I promise I'll do the best I can to help you...
   - That's good - Asiman mumbles.
   She looks at the stone coffin, her semblant is melancholic, her eyes are low, starring at the coffin with sadness. I read her thoughts:
   - Now you're only a shadow of the grandiose that once you were... I miss you all...
   Carmilla comes and hugs her from behind, then kissing her cheek and says trying to comfort Asiman:
   - Don't be sad, mi amor, I don't like when you cry...
   - Are you two married to each other? - I ask looking at them.
   - Yes - Carmilla says with a smile.
   - So, you're both Esther's moms? - I ask and Asiman nods - Well, you two have a lovely daughter.
   - Thanks... - Carmilla responds.
   Then Esther enters the room, hugs Asiman's leg and ask:
   - Are you sad, mom? If you cry, I will cry...
   - No, darling, mom isn't sad anymore - she kneels down and hugs the child... This is cute. They are a great family...
   I walk outside the room and look around the apartment, I go to the kitchen to see if there's something interesting there. Well, at least there's a retro refrigerator, I like it. Those models have a little charm. Then I go to the door near the living room that leads to the bathroom. It's very dirty, I'll have to clean this bathroom for then clean myself...
   I decide to go to the living room and get some sheets out of the furniture, still trying to protect my nose from the dust with may forearm as the sheets revel a small dark-wooden coffee table near an old day-bed. Despise the covering, the furnishings are still a bit dirty and stained, smelling like a very old place...
   - It seems I'll have a long day of cleaning tomorrow... - I mumble.
   I put the things I have in my pockets on coffee table: A small digital camera, a small wooden box, a black sketchbook with a bunch of stickers and drawings on the cover and a pencil warped on it with a old hair scrunchie, the umbrella, a manchete and the package of the cake from earlier. This is all I have...
   Then the cat jumps to the sofa, sitting on it and looks at me, I caress behind its ears and it purrs while closing its eye... It's cute... Out of nowhere, Esther comes near me and asks making little puppy eyes:
   - What is that little thing? - she poits to the camera.
   - It's a digital camera - I get it and click in a button to turn it on, the lens pop out making a little mechanic buzz - it's use to take pictures, and you can transfer the to a computer later - the screen turns on, reveling part of the ground and the sofa that it's being pointed to - it can record videos as well, but I mostly use it for pics... Do you want to take one?
   She nods with a smile, I get her little hands and put the camera on them, adjusting the position a bit for her. She points the camera to me, I say:
   - Click here to take the pic - I point at the button, the little girl nods, I smile slyly, she clicks it and the sound of the camera registrating the moment. The child giggles a bit and shows me the camera screen with a pic of myself staring back at me with a small smile - it looks great, Esther..!
   - Thanks! - she smiles - can you take one of me?
   - Sure..! - I get my camera back, point it to Esther, she smiles and I take the pic of her and show it to her - do you like it?
   - Of course! - she smiles widely at the pic, her eyes shine a bit - I look so pretty!
   - Because you're..! - I smile, she smiles back... She's such an adorable child...
   - Hey, Selene - Carmilla comes next to the sofa - do you need anything..? Food, blankets, soap, pads...
   - Well - I respond - I would like a blanket, blood, and some hygiene products. As you can see, I need a bath...
   - At least your sense of smell didn't go away - Asiman giggles as she enters the room - but, for real, when was the last time you shower?
   - I think... two weeks ago - I respond - I don't always have the opportunity to have regular showers.
   - Two weeks?! - Carmilla gasps - I'll get the things right now! Come on you two - she looks at the the other two girls, they three walk out the apartment and I stay there...
   Now I have a ceiling above my head, it's one thing less to be worried about. I hope that the people here like me (or at least tolerate me).
   Things will be better from now and on... I can feel it...