57. Celebratory Cookies

Rhaenyra killed her husband, married Daemon against Viserys wishes. Alicent thought this was the moment he cut ties and named Aegon heir but he threw a curve ball into Otto's plans. 

Rhaenyra stared down at the declaration. 

"Disinherited?" 

"What?" Daemon demanded. He only liked Rhaenyra because she was heir, he would get a crown out of her but if she was-

"We are disinherited." Rhaenyra rasped. 

"We?" Daemon countered leaning in. "No, no, no." He demanded the words to shift, to change. "I can't be... I... no!" he shouted. "What did you do?" 

"I have gathered you all here today to announce that I am naming a new heir." Viserys remarked. "After the events of... late." He offered gently. "I realized, after a talk with Prince Caspian that punishment needed to be served. We can't live in a world where crimes, even from the princess, can be left unchecked." Vaera smiled back at Caspian proud he spoke with Viserys. 

"So in light of that, I'm naming a new heir." Viserys repeated. Otto held his head high, this was the moment they were waiting for. Aegon looked bored however. 

Alicent elbowed Aegon and he grunted, glaring back at her. 

"What?" Aegon muttered. 

"Pay attention." Alicent instructed.  Aegon yawned out. 

"It's too early for this." He corrected. 

Alicent remembered when she was a bit older than Aegon, standing in this very room and being told her life would change forever. When Viserys named her his queen. She thought they both regretted that. Now Aegon's life was going to change but this was going to be for the better. 

Vaera didnt know why they were summoned besides the fact that Viserys wanted to dote on Vizzy after the meeting. But he requested they all be here for this. Vaera thought the obvious choice was Aegon. He was the firstborn boy. 

But she also thought about how angry Rhaenyra would be when she got the news that she was being replaced, she felt bad for Rhaenyra. They had not ended on a good note and now this. 

"I am naming Caspian Cole my heir." Viserys declared, Otto's smile dropped abruptly. Alicent's jaw slacked. Aegon smirked realizing what his mother had thought. 

"Me?" Caspian declared, baffled. 

"Yes. You my boy." Viserys agreed. 

"Oh my..." Caspian looked to Vaera, who was also in a state of shock. 

"And as for the protector of the realms... I am giving that honor to Vaera Targaryen."

"Daddy," Vaera whispered. 

"My Vaera." Viserys agreed. 

When Viserys named Caspian Cole the heir of the iron throne and Vaera protector of the realms on the requirement that Caspian takes the name Targaryen once he ascends. 

Caspian agreed eagerly. Caspian Targaryen had a nice ring to it. Criston agreed as well, if that was something the king thought was best, they would help caspian become a peaceful and wise ruler.  Viserys looked to Vaera, she took a step closer and grabbed his hand. 

"Are you sure?" Vaera questioned. 

"My dear you have always had strong passions and a  good head on your shoulders. You have raised wonderful children and Caspian shows good leadership, a bright mind. I know I should have spoken to you before I brought this before the council but... what do you think?" Vaera looked to Caspian who was nodding eagerly. 

"Protector of the realms? That sounds hard." Vaera admitted. 

"You have a good and faithful husband." Viserys countered. "I'm sure he will help you, guide you. Keep you safe as he has." Criston nodded. 

"If this is something you want, I support you, always." Criston agreed. 

"Well then I guess there is only one thing to say." Vaera remarked, she giggled out hugging Caspian. "We need celebratory cookies!"