4. Consequences

'And now we come to the matter of the great Iron Chair... and whose bum it might bear. Our good King... names his daughter, a girl, his heir.' Daemon had brought vaera and Rhaenyra to a play, the crowd was enthusiastic. 'But then to him, a babe is born.' The actor portraying Alicent was grunting and groaning delivering a fake child for the audience.

'A son!' the speaker declared. 'To which heir might the chair bear? Who will it be? The brother? The daughter? Or the little princeling of three?' Daemon stared down at Rhaenyra as she watched the play of their lives.

"Where am I?" Vaera whispered.

"Be glad they don't portray you." Daemon told her pulling her back into.

"Why are they all men?" Vaera went on. "Its gross."

'Rhaenyra... the Realm's Delight, a girl so young and so slight... loved by all of her people, but would she make a powerful queen, or would she be feeble?'

'Feeble!' the crowd shouted and Rhaenyra's face dropped.

'Though Aegon, the babe Prince, might long for a claim, he has two things Rhaenyra cannot: a conqueror's name... and a cock.'

"BOO!" Vaera shouted.

'Lies, slander! Boo!' Rhaenyra tried but their cheers outweighed her one measly voice of objection.

"Treason!" Vaera agreed but their voices were drowned out.

'Jest if you will, but many of the smallfolk are like to believe that, as a male, Aegon should be the heir.' Daemon reminded her as he lead them away.

'Why?" Vaera questioned. "Nyra is the heir, father declared it. Him having a cock is of little consequence to being a good ruler."

"Their wants are of no consequence.' Rhaenyra agreed and Daemon laughed as the crowd continued cheering, and whistling in amusement.

'They're of great consequence if you expect to rule them one day.' Daemon reminded her.

'For one night, I wish to be free of the burdens of my inheritance.' Rhaenyra remarked picking at some food a vendor was selling.

"I like who I am most days." Vaera countered.

'Four coppers, street rat.' The man shouted at her.

'In King's Landing, we pay for our pleasures.' Daemon told her and she threw the food back at the man and ran.

"Nyra!" Vaera hissed watching her run.

'Hey! Stop! Boy!'

'Wait, I'll find him.' Daemon assured heading off with a chuckle on his lips. vaera started laughing as rhaenyra ran off.

"What has gotten into her?" Vaera questioned.

"Shes trouble where are all her guards?" Daemon agreed.

Rhaenyra had never felt so alive she was breathing heavily as she ran but she collided with a knight with a grunt.

'And who might you be running from, now?'

'Ser Harwin.' Rhaenyra said kindly and he stared down at her confused

'Princess.' He grumbled

'Don't.' she begged as him as Vaera and daemon were coming up behind her.

'You take care, boy. Next time, you might not be so lucky.' Ser Harwin remarked.

''This is fun uncle daemon thank you for bringing us.'' Vaera told him as he wrapped an arm around her.

''I'm glad you came Trouble.'' daemon told her pressing a kiss to her head as they walked.

''Princess Vaera.'' Harwin remarked his voice gruff and she turned her face down embarrassed. ''Your father put two guards on you and you slip away from both of us?'' Harwin questioned looking to daemon.

''I'm sorry.'' Vaera told him sheepishly.

''I'm taking princess vaera home.'' Harwin told daemon

''Night beautiful.'' daemon said kissing her cheek.

''Night uncle daemon.'' Vaera eyes drifted up to harwin a tight nervous smile on her face

'''Enjoyed that, did you?' Daemon questioned coming up behind Rhaenyra.

'Who knows when I'll next taste freedom?' Rhaenyra reminded him. "Where is Vee?'

"Harwin was less lenient on his favorite princess wandering past dark." Daemon told her.

+

''You won't tell father right?'' Vaera questioned ''I can only sneak away from you two adding a third would make things very difficult.'' Harwin leaned down pressing a kiss to her forehead.

''You are lucky i like you.'' Harwin remarked

''Thank you I promise-''

''Dont promise me lies Vaera.'' Harwin mused

''I-'' her words cut off. ''You are the best and i am very grateful for you.'' Vaera offered smiling up at him.

''You are very lucky it was me that found you.'' Harwin informed her.

''I don't think criston would have been mad either.'' vaera remarked

''Lets see when you get back to your and he's baffled how you got around him then.'' Harwin suggested.

''I missed my uncle.'' Vaera told him. ''I was just having fun. Perfectly safe.'' Vaera assured.

''Safe and daemon dont belong together.'' Harwin informed her.

''I was perfectly safe.'' Vaera assured again and Harwin smirked down at her.

''Mm hmm.'' Harwin agreed.

''Daemon wouldnt let anything happen to me. I'm his favorite.'' Vaera assured.

''Mm hmm''. Harwin agreed keeping a hand on her as he lead her back.

''I'm 16.' Vaera reminded him. 'I'm not a child.''

''Mm hmm.'' Harwin agreed

''You know I hate when you do that.'' Vaera grumbled

''What?'' Harwin mused.

''Agree with me by saying mm hmm and making me regret my decisions and feel bad on my name day.'' Vaera told him trying to make him feel guilty and it worked. Harwin sighed kneeling in front of her so she looked down at him.

''Gorgeous I'm supposed to protect you.'' Harwin reminded her. ''You know how awful I would feel if you got hurt? I care about you a lot" a lot more than he should, Harwin thought. "Vaera..." he brushed her hair back from her face. "I just want you to be careful.''

''Be mad at me instead.'' Vaera requested as she put her hands on his shoulders

''What?'' Harwin said with a laugh.

''Be mad. Yell at me. Tell me I'm... i don't know.'' Vaera admitted leaning into him

''I'm not going to yell at you.'' Harwin assured

''But you being disappointed is worse.'' Vaera assured him.

''Oh princess,'' he whispered kissing her cheek.

''Yell at me.'' Vaera whispered.

''Vaera.'' He declared holding her face in his hands. ''I hope you had a happy name day.'' Harwin told her kissing her cheek.

''I love you Harwin.'' Vaera told him

''I love you too vaera.'' Harwin whispered back. Criston stared back at them confused then glanced to the door.

''Criston what a surprise!' vaera mused.