53. Need You

Vaera ran to daemon when she saw him. He scooped her up spinning her around. She didnt listen to the water funeral speech she didnt really know Laena. Daemon however she knew and loved. 

"I missed you gorgeous." Daemon remarked kissing her cheek. 

"Why were you gone for so long?" Vaera questioned. 

"I needed a change."

"Are you coming back for good?" 

"I dont know yet." Daemon countered. 

"Do you want me to beg?" Vaera offered. Daemon chuckled touching her necklace. "You remember this one?"

"I gave it to you." Daemon agreed. 

"I thought it was appropriate for this occasion." Vaera agreed. 

She was taking a stroll down memory lane it seemed. After Harwin's death she had two days to grieve while they headed to driftmark. 

She had found the necklace harwin had given her and the one daemon had. Although she missed and loved her cookie knight she put on the necklace from Daemon. 

Harwin had been a part of her life for as long as she could remember and the thought of him gone, it... perhaps it didnt hit her completely. She felt a tightness in her chest and small tears fell randomly down her cheeks but it was as if her body refused to let the flood gates open just yet. 

''Have you seen your father?'' Rhaenyra asked coming up to Jace. ''Your little cousins have lost their mother. They could use a kind word.'' Rhaenyra offered glancing to Daemon's daughters.

''I have an equal claim to sympathy.'' Jace countered.

''Jace.''

''We should be at Harrenhal, mourning Lord Lyonel, and Ser Harwin.'' Jace countered. "Auntie Vaera would have let us go."

''Vaera is here as well and besides it would not be appropriate. The Velaryons are our kin and the Strongs are not.'' Rhaenyra reminded him, Jace scoffed. ''Look at me. Do you understand?''

''Hand turns loom; spool of green, spool of black; dragons of flesh weaving dragons of thread. Hand turns loom; spool of green..." Helaena remarked finding a spider on the ground she eased it into her hand.

"Hello Hela..." Vaera whispered as she passed Helaena looked up at her holding up the insect. "Very nice." Vaera told her softly.

''We have nothing in common.'' Aegon scoffed downing his drink

''She's our sister.'' Aemond reminded him

''You marry her, then.'' Aegon sneered grabbing another drink

''I would perform my duty, if mother had only betrothed us.'' Aemond said obediently.

''If only.'' Aegon said with a scoff.

''It would strengthen the family. Keep our Valyrian blood pure.'' Aemond reminded him

''She's an idiot.'' Aegon corrected and Vaera slapped him upside the head. "Love you Vaera!' Aegon called after her.

''She's your future queen.'' Aemond retorted.

''We actually do have one thing in common. We both fancy creatures with very long legs.'' Aegon mused with a chuckle as he walked off, leaving Aemond to sneer at him hatred. "Vaera..." Aegon chased after her.

"I need a drink Aegon." Vaera informed him. 

''Wench! Another!'' Aegon declared clasping his hands together joyously.

''Aegon.'' Aemond hissed.

"Here you are my lovely sister." Aegon said handing her a drink.

"Thank you." Vaera whispered.

"Did you know Laena well?" Aemond asked sitting down opposite her. Vaera leaned into him.

"Oh... um... yes." Vaera lied. "I miss her dearly." It was a good excuse for her tears and seemingly constant frown. 

"I can cheer you up." Aegon offered.

"I'm sure you think you can." Vaera agreed as she kissed Aemond's head. Aemond smirked back at Aegon.

"Let me get you another drink!" Aegon declared jumping up.

"Are you really alright Vaera?" Aemond asked.

"I will be." Vaera agreed wrapping an arm around him. "It's just... Harwin was my good friend and with all this sadness surrounding us, I..." she sighed heavily. "Thank you for being such a good boy."

''...dragon's flesh, weaving dragons of thread." Helaena went on trapping the spider between her hand and a geode. Caspian sat beside her and Caera ran the other way. 

"Spiders!" Caera shouted, shaking her head. "Why spiders?" 

 Vaera noticed that Larys was here and not mourning his family. She found it odd, but she found herself moving towards him. 

"Hello Lord Larys." 

"Hello Princess." Larys answered. Vaera grabbed his hand. 

"I... I'm so sorry about Harwin and Lyonel." Vaera remarked gently. Larys gaze shifted to her hand in his. "I have known Harwin most of my life, he was like family to me... so I can't-" Tears spilled down her cheeks. "-imagine what you are feeling right now, losing your brother and father-" more tears, Larys face dropped, his eyes widened as he stared back at her. He had felt victorious but now there was a tightness in his chest as he watched vaera break down trying to hold back her sobs. "I'm so sorry-"

"I am sorry for your losses too Princess." Larys offered. She wiped her tears on the sleeve of her dress. "You are right, Harwin was like family to you... he thought highly of you... I'm sorry..."

"You are too kind Larys, trying to appease my tears..." she choked out a breath. "I wish he was alive, even if I never got to see him again, I wish he was alive somewhere." Larys didnt know what to say so he held tight to her hand a moment longer. 

''Both my seat and High Tide will be yours one day, Lucerys.'' Corlys remarked. ''Your brother will be king, of course. He'll sit on endless councils and ceremonies, but Lord of the Tides rules the sea.'' But Luke shook his head softly.

''Sorry. I don't want it.'' He whispered.

''It's your birthright, lad.'' Corlys reminded.

''If I'm the Lord of Driftmark, it means everyone's dead.'' Luke corrected as he walked off.

''Your girls are the very image of their mother.'' Viserys remarked ''A comfort and an anguish, as I well remember.'' Viserys added. ''The gods can be cruel.''

''It seems they've been especially cruel to you.'' Daemon remarked and Viserys chuckled as Vaera came up to him taking sad slow steps. Daemon pulled her to him. "Hello lovely, I meet little Viserys." He whispered kissing her forehead. She leaned into him closing her eyes her head buried in his chest. "Why didn't you name him after me?" Vaera looked up to him with sad eyes. "The next one perhaps." Daemon suggested gently.

''You should return with us to King's Landing. It's time that you came home.'' Viserys insisted and Daemon felt Vaera nod into him.

''Pentos is my home... and that of my children.'' Daemon corrected.

''Daemon... I know we've had our differences, but let them pass with the years. There's a place for you in my court if that's something you should need.'' Viserys said softly.

''I need... nothing.'' Daemon corrected.

"That's a lie, you need me." Vaera informed him and Daemon ran his fingers through her hair as she looked up at him with the most pitiful of eyes. "And  I need something." 

"Anything for you." Daemon agreed as she led him away.

"I need a hug, your hugs were always the best." Vaera answered and Daemon wrapped her up in his arms. "Dont go away forever again, Daemon. I missed you." Vaera begged and she felt like a child again in his arms. 

"You have a husband now, you dont need me love." Daemon corrected. 

"I'm always going to need you."